Student Portal > Module 4
As you enter the clinics the hours you will be keeping will change (e.g. earlier and later), and many of you will have to find a new way to get to and from school. Keep in mind that public transportation runs less frequently and walking/biking may be unsafe early in the morning and late at night.
School of Medicine Transportation System
The Office of Student Affairs has worked with the University Transportation Office to develop a safe, affordable way for students to get to various hospitals between the hours of 3:00 am and 7:00 am and home from the hospitals between 8:00 p.m. and 12:30 am. The system, which has been established, utilizes escort vans only available for medical students.
In order to use this special service, you need to purchase transit vouchers from Erin Engelstad in the Office of Student Affairs. Each voucher is worth $2 and one voucher is needed for each trip. The vouchers are sold in books of 20.
The shuttle service will operate within the following boundaries:
North Spring Garden Street (Powelton Village)
Market Street (West Philadelphia)
Ben Franklin Parkway (Center City)
South Christian Street (Center City)
Woodland Avenue (West Philadelphia)
East 8th Street
West 50th Street
EARLY MORNING SHUTTLE SERVICE
From 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m., Penn Transit Services (PTS) will schedule special white 15 passenger vans marked "Penn Transit Service", to transport medical students to and from HUP, CHOP, Presbyterian Hospital, Veterans Administration Hospital, Pennsylvania Hospital and their residences, seven (7) days a week.
Scheduling a Pick-Up
These trips may be booked one calendar week in advance, but no later than midnight (12:00 am) of the same morning of the trip. PTS will maintain a fifteen (15) minute window from the actual scheduled pickup time. This may vary depending on weather and road conditions. Therefore you need to schedule the ride for 15 minutes earlier than you would ordinarily need to leave to allow for this 15-minute window. To schedule a pick-up time, please follow the instructions below.
1. Call 898-Ride. You will get voice mail, which will give you two options. .
2. Option #1 is for recorded information. Option #2 is to speak to a live operator.
3. After Option #2 is announced you must push 4 on your telephone. (This will not be announced.) This will take you to a private mailbox. At the prompt please leave your:
- Request day and date
- Pick-up time
- Pick-up address
- Telephone number
4. Be ready to leave at your scheduled time (vans are only required to wait for three  minutes after they arrive at your location).
5. Have your voucher ready to give to the Shuttle driver when you enter the van.
6. Should you experience any delays in pickup over thirty (30) minutes, please call 898-RIDE (Please do not call this number unless it is an emergency).
Procedure for Canceling a Pick-Up
1. a) Pre-scheduled Cancellation between 7:00 am - 12:00 am, Monday through Sunday
1. Call 898-RIDE
2. Press #4 after introductory message to reach the reservation line.
3. Leave your message with name, address, date and time of pick-up.
4. Your pick-up will be automatically canceled.
b) Emergency Cancellation between 12:00 am - 7:00 am, Monday through Sunday call 898-RIDE
2. You must call to cancel a scheduled pickup or it will be considered a "no show". Two (2) "no shows" in a thirty (30) day period will result in a suspension of service for a one (1) week (7 day) period.
EVENING SHUTTLE SERVICE
To get home from campus or the hospitals between the hours of 8:00 pm and 12:30 am, Penn Transit Services has a special shuttle service just for medical students. This service will pick up students at the following stops: the Penn Tower Hotel, the Johnson Pavilion, Presbyterian Hospital and the VA Hospital and take them to their residences within the boundaries. To access this service please follow the instructions below.
Call 898-RIDE. Press #2 to speak with a live operator.
PENN TRANSIT SERVICES (PTS)
You may call the PTS Idea Line (898-IDEA) at any time for any compliments, complaints, or new ideas on improving this service. PTS is closed will not operate services on the following holidays: MLK Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday following Thanksgiving Day and December 24th through January 1st.
|© The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania || Site best viewed in supported browser. || Site Design: PMACS Web Team||<< Return to Portal|