Student Portal > Career Counseling > Course Selection > Internal Medicine
Students wishing to pursue careers in Internal Medicine should complete the following courses by August 31st of the year in which they are applying.
- All students must complete a sub-I through the Department of Medicine. The available sites include HUP, PPMC, PVAMC and PAH.
- Students who receive a “Pass” or “High Pass” in the Medicine 200 clerkship should strongly consider enrolling in an Intensive Care Unit rotation (MICU or CCU at HUP). It is strongly recommended that you take the Externship in Outpatient Medicine or enroll in an outpatient specialty elective prior to September.
- Students should enroll in at least three electives (this includes the sub-I, externship and/or ICU rotation) through the Department of Medicine. Electives in Medicine at affiliated hospitals are encouraged but a core of three electives should occur through the Department of Medicine at Penn. These sites include HUP, PPMC and PVAMC.
- Internal Medicine residency programs are looking for diversity in their applicants. Applicants must distinguish themselves either through participation in original research, community service activities or leadership activities. It is not necessary to conduct research but one must make up for that with other activities.
- Individuals matching as a couple need to apply to a broad number of programs and individual counseling is available for such situations.
- The Department of Medicine will hold an information session in November for those individuals interested in pursuing Internal Medicine careers. Anyone with any interest in Medicine should attend.
- Mentors within the Department of Medicine are available for all interested individuals. Mentors can be assigned by joining the William Pepper Medical Society or by contacting Ann Marie Hunt, Dr. Jennifer Kogan or Dr. Karen Krok.
- If at any point in time you have any questions regarding the Internal Medicine application process, please feel free to contact Dr. Jennifer Kogan via phone, email or stopping by her office in 1 Gibson (across the hall from the Department of Medicine Administration Office, 100 Centrex).