1998 - 2001: BSc(Hons) Biochemistry, Bristol University, Bristol, II.I. Wide-ranging genetics modules throughout. Final year project investigated sub-cellular localization of GFP-tagged membrane proteins, involved basic molecular biology and ﬂuorescent confocal microscopy.
1997: A-Levels, Wootton Upper School, Chemistry–B; Biology–B; Mathematics–B.
Title: Variation Within the IL-18 System and its Association With Cardiovascular Disease and Obesity
Supervisor: Prof. Steve E Humphries, BHF Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, UCL
Research Experience and Skills
2003 – 2008: PhD Student, BHF Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, UCL, London
Skills: tSNP selection, RFLP and TaqMAN genotyping, population genetics data analysis, QPCR, tissue culture, DNase hypersensitivity assay, ELISA, complex bioinformatics and data-mining, data and literature presentation.
2002 – 2003: Research Assistant, MRC Prion Unit UCL, London
Skills: Basic scientiﬁc and laboratory protocol, mouse colony organization, PCR, sequencing, use and maintenance of MegaBACE sequencers, basic bioinformatics.
Publications, Poster Presentations and Invited Talks
- Laura B Scheinfeldt, Sameer Soi, Simon Thompson, Alessia Ranciaro, Dawit Wolde Meskel, William Beggs, Charla Lambert, Joseph P Jarvis, Dawit Abate, Gurja Belay, Sarah A Tishkoff. (2012) Genetic adaptation to high altitude in the Ethiopian highlands. Genome Biology 13:R1.
- P.T. Wootton, N.L. Arora, F. Drenos, S.R. Thompson, J.A. Cooper, J.W. Stephens, S.J. Hurel, E. Hurt-Camejo, O.Wiklund, S.E. Humphries, and P.J. Talmud (2007) Tagging SNP haplotype analysis of these cretory PLA2-Vgene, PLA2G5, shows strong association with LDL and oxLDL levels, suggesting functional distinction froms PLA2-IIA: Results from the UDACS study. Hum. Mol. Genet., 16(12):1437–1444.
- S.R. Thompson, J. Sanders, J.W. Stephens, G.J.Miller, and S.E. Humphries (2007) A common interleukin-18 haplotype is associated with higher body mass index in subjects with diabetes and coronary heart disease. Metabolism 56(5):662–669.
- S.R. Thompson, D. Novick, C.J. Stock, J. Sanders, D. Brull, J. Cooper, P. Woo, G. Miller, M. Rubinstein, and S.E. Humphries (2007) Free interleukin (IL)-18 levels, and the impact of IL18 and IL18BP geneticvariation, in CHD patients and healthy men. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol.
- S.R. Thompson, P.A. McCaskie, J.P. Beilby, J. Hung, M. Jennens, C. Chapman, P. Thompson, and S.E. Humphries (2007) IL18 haplotypes are associated with serum IL-18 concentrations in a population-based study and a cohort of individuals with premature coronary heart disease. Clin. Chem.
- S.R. Thompson and S.E. Humphries (2007) Interleukin-18 genetics and inﬂammatory disease susceptibility. Genes Immun. 8(2):91–99.
- S.R. Thompson and S.E. Humphries. (2007) Familiäre belastung [familyhistory]. In PSchwandt and K.G. Parhofer, editors, Handbuchder Fettsto˙wechselstörungen [Handbookoffatmetabolismdisorders] vol. 3, book chapter 11.1, pages 528–537. Schattauer, 1 edition.
- S.E. Lloyd, S.R. Thompson, J.A. Beck, J.M. Linehan, J.D. Wadsworth, S. Brandner, J. Collinge, and E.M. Fisher. (2004) Identiﬁcation and characterization of a novel mouse prion gene allele. Mamm. Genome 15(5):383 – 389.
- European Atherosclerosis Society, Summer Conferences 2007, Helsinki. Poster presentation.
- International Atherosclerosis Society, Summer Conference 2006, Rome. Oral presentation.
- EAS Summer Conference 2005, Prague. Poster presentation.
- Genomesto Systems, 2004. Delegate.
- Have also attended numerous British Atherosclerosis Society conferences and UCL-based events from 2004–2007, often presenting posters.
Taught a workshop and presented at the EAS summer school in both 2006 and 2007. School is run as an introduction to cardiovascular science for ﬁrst year PhD students.