The Office of the Executive Vice Dean and Chief Scientific Officer supports the research and research training missions of the School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. In this regard, the office seeks to promote excellence in research and research education, and to support School of Medicine faculty in the creation and dissemination of new knowledge and the development of new therapies. The Executive Vice Dean has operational, planning, and financial responsibility for the academic components of all research and research training activities within the School of Medicine.
- Advance the highest standards of excellence in research and research education
- Establish the School of Medicine as an internationally recognized leader in biomedical research
- Promote cross-departmental and School collaboration, and a culture that supports collective research excellence
- Promote targeted inter-disciplinary science and education that spans basic, translational, and clinical research
- Facilitate activities and institutional relationships related to global research and trainee education
- Promote human research for the advancement of healthcare while ensuring the highest level of research participant safety
- Support graduate and postdoctoral programs to maximize recruitment and ensure high-quality training for the greatest number of outstanding trainees and postdoctoral fellows
- Build new linkages both within the University and to the private sector
- Plan and manage core facilities and animal support services to sustain the highest caliber of research
Offices reporting to the Executive Vice Dean and Chief Scientific Officer include: Biomedical Graduate Studies, Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs, Combined Degree and Physician Scholar Programs, Corporate Alliances, Global Health Programs, Human Research, Masters Programs, and Research Program Development.