Penn Medicine Town Hall Meeting
A Discussion on Alzheimer's, BRAIN Initiative, and other Major Funding Opportunities
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016, the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine’s Institute on Aging (IOA), Center for Neurodegenerative Disease Research (CNDR), and Penn Translational Neuroscience Center (PTNC) co-hosted their first Town Hall Meeting, open to all interested University of Pennsylvania researchers.
The idea behind this joint effort is to increase the awareness and knowledge of the
variety of available National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding opportunities relating
to Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders (ADRD) and the neurosciences, with many already underway here at Penn.
“In the last five years, NIH funding [for ADRD research] increased from $450 million
to nearly $1 billion,” explained John Q. Trojanowski, MD, PhD, IOA Director and CNDR Co-Director. “People who are not working in ADRD can get involved in this field. Penn is a hotbed of aging research, but there is always room to do more.”
Jon Epstein: Welcome and Opening Remarks
Frances E. Jensen: "Neurosciences at Penn — Opportunities Overview"
Caryn Lerman: "PTNC Neuroscience Initiatives"
John Q. Trojanowski: "New NIA Funding for Research on Alzheimer's and Related Disorders"
Jerry Schellenberg: "Introduction to Penn Neurodegeneration Genomics Center"
Jim Eberwine/Frances E. Jensen: "BRAIN Initiative Funding, Research, and Collaborative Opportunities"
Take a behind-the-scenes look at some of the groundbreaking research on Alzheimer's disease and related disorders being conducted here at Penn Medicine:
- PAR-15-349 Health Disparities and Alzheimer’s Disease (R01)
- PAR-15-350 Emerging Directions for Addressing Health Disparities in Alzheimer’s Disease (R03)
- PAR-15-348 Research on Informal and Formal Caregiving for Alzheimer’s Disease (R01)
- PAR-15-351 Research on Informal and Formal Caregiving for Alzheimer’s Disease (R21)
- PAR-15-364 Phase III Clinical Trials for the Spectrum of Alzheimer’s Disease and Age-related Cognitive Decline (R01)
- PAR-15-356 Major Opportunities for Research in Epidemiology of Alzheimer’s Disease and Cognitive Resilience (R01)
- PAR-15-357 Understanding Alzheimer’s Disease in the Context of the Aging Brain (R01)
- PAR-15-358 Capturing Complexity in the Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms Involved in the Etiology of Alzheimer’s Disease (R01)
- PAR- 15-359 Novel Approaches to Diagnosing Alzheimer’s Disease & Predicting Progression (R01)
- PAR-15-365 Pilot Clinical Trials for the Spectrum of Alzheimer’s Disease and Age-related Cognitive Decline (R01)
- PAR-09054 Zenith Fellows Award Program
- RFA-AG-17-009 Impact of Aging in Human Cell Models of Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAR-16-205 The National Institute on Aging (NIA) Late Onset of Alzheimer's Disease (LOAD) Family Based Study (FBS) (U24)
- PAR- 55205 Academic Drug Discovery and Development Program
- RFA-NS-16-023 Center without Walls for the Identification and Validation of Molecular Mechanisms Contributing to Tau Pathogenesis and Associated Neurodegeneration in Frontotemporal Degeneration (FTD) (U54)
- RFA-AG-17-050 Role of Peripheral Proteostasis on Brain Aging and on Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- RFA-AG-17-057 Systems Biology Approaches to Alzheimer's Disease Using Non-Mammalian Laboratory Animals (R01)
- RFA-AG-17-055 Brain Lymphatic System in Aging and Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- RFA-AG-17-053 Human Cell Biology of Genetic Variants in Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAR-17-029 Dynamic Interactions between Systemic or Non-Neuronal Systems and the Brain in Aging and in Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAS-17-026 Improving Quality of Care and Quality of Life for Persons with Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias at the End of Life (R03)
- PAS-17-027 Improving Quality of Care and Quality of Life for Persons with Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias at the End of Life (R01)
- PAS-17-028 Common Mechanisms & Interactions Among Neurodegenerative Diseases (R01)
- RFA-NS-17-016 Leveraging Existing Resources for Research on Lewy Body Dementia (R03)
- PAR-17-067 Tools for Clinical Care and Management of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) and its Comorbidities (R43/R44)
- PAR-17-066 Tools for Clinical Care and Management of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) and its Comorbidities (R41/R42)
- PAS-17-064 Advancing Research on Alzheimer's Disease (AD) and Alzheimer's Disease-Related Dementias (ADRD) (R43/R44)
- PAS-17-065 Advancing Research on Alzheimer's Disease (AD) and Alzheimer's Disease-Related Dementias (ADRD) (R42/R42)
- RFA-AG-17-063 Institutional Training Programs to Advance Translational Research on Alzheimer's Disease and AD Related Dementias (T32)
Please check back periodically for newly added funding opportunities.
You can also subscribe to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Guide LISTSERV to receive official updates on grant policies, guidelines, and funding opportunities.
ADRD Grants at PennNIH-funded ADRD Grants at Penn
- Orally-Absorbed, Small Molecule Microtubule-Stabilizers For Tauopathy Treatment (R01-AG044332)
PI: Ballatore, Carlo, et al.
- Connectomic Imaging in Familial and Sporadic Frontotemporal Degeneration (U01-AG052943)
PI: Grossman, Murray, et al.
- A Model-Based Approach To Understanding Memory Impairments In Normal Aging (R21-AG048233)
PI: Kahana, Michael Jacob
- The Role of Leptin in Alzheimer’s Disease (K08-AG039510)
PI: Lee, Edward Byung-ha
- Training in Age-related Neurodegenerative Diseases (T32-AG000255)
PI: Lee, Virginia M
- Frontotemporal Dementias: Genotypes and Phenotypes (P01-AG017586)
PI: Lee, Virginia M.
- Photo-initiated disassembly of Fibrils: Application to Amyloids and Hydrogels (F31-AG046010)
PI: Markiewicz, Beatrice Nicole
- Multimodal Biomarkers in Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration (K01-AG043503)
PI: McMillan, Corey T.
- Young-onset Dementia in Colombia (R21-AG046499)
PI: Rascovsky, Katya
- Alzheimer’s Disease Genetics Consortium (U01-AG032984)
PI: Schellenberg, Gerard David
- Consortium for Alzheimer’s Sequence Analysis (CASA) (UF1-AG047133)
PI: Schellenberg, Gerard David, et al.
- Coordinating Center for Genetics and Genomics of Alzheimer’s Disease (CGAD) (U-54-AG052427)
PI: Schellenberg, Gerard David, et al.
- Citalopram Decreases CSF AB: A Randomized Dose Finding Trial (R01-AG041502)
PI: Sheline, Yvette I.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Core Center (P30-AG010124))
PI: Trojanowski, John Q.
- The NIA Genetics of Alzheimer’s Disease Data Storage Site (U24-AG041689)
PI: Wang, Li-San
- Novel Imaging Biomarkers for Treatment Evaluation in Neurodegenerative Disorders (R01-AG037376)
PI: Yushkevich, Paul A.
- Alpha-synuclein Biomarkers in Parkinson Disease (K08-NS093127)
PI: Akhtar, Rizwan Smeer
- Oxidative Lipid Stress in the Brain (R01-NS074178)
PI: Axelsen, Paul H.
- Transcriptional Mechanisms Coordinating Midline and Motor Axon Guidance (R01-NS054739)
PI: Bashaw, Greg J.
- Epigenetic Changes Associated with Neurodegenerative Diseases (R01-NS078283)
PI: Berger, Shelley L., et al.
- Epigenetic Mechanisms of TDP-43-mediated Neurodegeneration (F32-NS084667)
PI: Berson, Amit
- Ataxin-2 As a Genetic Risk Factor for ALS: New Insights into Neurodegeneration (R01-NS073660)
PI: Bonini, Nancy M., et al.
- Unbiased Approaches to Novel Biomarker Discovery in Parkinson’s Disease (U01-NS082134)
PI: Chen-Plotkin, Alice S
- The Genetic Regulation and Disease Function of the Frontotemporal Dementia Protein (R01-NS082265)
PI: Chen-Plotkin, Alice S.
- Nicotinic & Dopaminergic Mechanisms Regulating in Vivo Plasticity (R01-NS021229)
PI: Dani, John A.
- Mechanisms and Modifiers of HNRNPA1 and HNRNPA2 Misfolding and Toxicity (F31-NS087676)
PI: Ford, Alice Flynn
- Dissecting the Role of Disease-Associated Variants in the Regulation of TMEM106B (F31-NS090892)
PI: Gallagher, Michael D.
- TDP-43 MRNA Complex Transport in Physiologic and Pathologic States (K08-NS090892)
PI: Gopal, Pallavi P.
- Mechanistic Analysis of Axonal Transport Defects in Neurodegenerative Disease (R37-NS060698)
PI: Holzbaur, Erika L.
- Identification of Endophenotypes in the Behavioral Variant of Frontotemporal Dementia (K23-NS088341)
PI: Irwin, David John
- Epigenetic Editing of Mutant C9ORF72 (R01-NS095793)
PI: Lee, Edward Byung-Ha
- Molecular Neuropathology of TDP-43 Proteinopathies (R21-NS097749)
PI: Lee, Edward Byung-Ha
- Mechanisms of Transmission of Pathological Alpha-Synuclein in Neurons (P50-NS053488)
PI: Lee, Virginia M.
- Propagation of Lewy Pathology in Parkinson’s Disease (R01-NS088322)
PI: Luk, Kelvin C.
- Alpha-synuclein Oligomer Toxicity and the Pathogenic Interaction with Dopamine (F31-NS087779)
PI: More, Danielle Emille
- Semi-synthetic A-synuclein for Tracking Aggregation and Cell-to-cell Transmission (#R01-NS081033)
PI: Petersson, Ernest James
- Self-association and Membrane Binding of Alpha-synuclein (R01-NS079955)
PI: Rhoades, Anna E.
- Exploring and Enhancing Karyopherin Beta-2 Disaggregate Activity (R21-NS090205)
PI: Shorter, James
- Dictyostatin and Related Prodrugs as Candidates for Tauopathy Treatment (R21-NS087059)
PI: Smith, Amos B.
- Neuropathological Characterization of ‘CTE’ (R01-NS094003)
PI: Smith, Douglas Hamilton, et al.
- Parkinson’s Disease and Dementia (P50-NS053488)
PI: Trojanwoski, John Q.
- Feasibility of Direct Quantitative Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Myelin (R21-NS082953)
PI: Wehrli, Felix W.
- Parkinson’s Disease Disparities and Outcomes (K23-NS081087)
PI: Willis, Allison
Institute on Aging
Penn Medicine Translational Neuroscience Center
© The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania | Site best viewed in a supported browser. | Site Design: PMACS Web Team.