Summer 2021 Virtual Internship Opportunity for Penn Students
BUP facilitates internship opportunities for Penn students outside of the School of Medicine. The opportunities listed below are for Summer 2021. Due to the pandemic, all opportunities will be VIRTUAL.
Who can apply
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate or master’s level student at the University of Pennsylvania in the Spring 2021 semester
- Returning full-time to their same degree program in the Fall 2021 semester
- Not participating in an internship or research project in their home country or a country in which they grew up
- In good academic and disciplinary standing
How to Apply
To apply to any of the internships below email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and put the name of the internship for which you are applying in the subject line of the email. Application deadline is Wednesday February 10, 2021.
As a part of Penn Abroad's Global Research & Internship Program (GRIP), funding will be available to accepted candidates. These awards are intended to help offset the cost of living expenses, but are not meant to cover the entire internship experience.
Health Informatics Internship (2 interns will be accepted)
OPEN TO UNDERGRADUATES AND GRADUATES
Placement: eHealth Research Unit, Department of Computer Science at the University of Botswana
Location: Gaborone, Botswana
Duration: 12 weeks, starting late May through early August
Description: The Health Informatics intern will learn under the supervision of the eHealth Research Coordinator and assist eHealth cluster team members with various eHealth applications such as REDcap. The intern will also participate in research projects, receive research mentorship and provide support to partner projects. This internship is available for up to two Penn students (undergraduate or graduate).
In this position the intern will:
- Familiarize themselves with the functionalities of technologies involved in the University of Botswana's eHealth projects
- Support testing, research, implementation, and training activities related to eHealth projects
- Work closely with partners and adapt to the eHealth project's needs
- Engage in weekly Skype calls with teams to provide updates and get research mentorship
- Support (virtually) on activities for the newly established Digital Health Technical Working Group (TWG) for Botswana
Candidates must have:
- Strong interest in telemedicine, information retrieval and/or health systems research, mHealth, in resource-limited settings
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience working in cross-cultural situations
- Comfort using different types of bask tech and software that support health systems
- Flexibility and realistic expectations about what can be accomplished during this short-term internship