Biomedical Postdoctoral Council (BPC)
The University of Pennsylvania Biomedical Postdoctoral Council (BPC) is a volunteer organization run by and for postdoctoral scholars. The BPC was founded in 2000, and we were one of the first postdoctoral associations in the USA. We represent over 1,200 biomedical postdoctoral appointees from the Perelman School of Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, School of Nursing, The Department of Biology at the School of Arts & Sciences, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Monell Chemical Senses Center, Swarthmore College and The Wistar Institute. We also welcome the involvement of postdocs from the School of Arts & Sciences and School of Engineering and Applied Science.
The BPC seeks to foster a sense of community, provide resources for career and personal development, and provide a framework for representation on campus and in the local community for postdoctoral scholars. We also work closely with the office of Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs (BPP), which is responsible for providing postdoctoral training at Penn.
What we do
- Annual Biomedical Postdoctoral Research Symposium
- Career enhancement and training - seminars and workshops in addition to those offered by BPP
- Community service - blood drives and volunteering
- Co-sponsored events with the Biomedical Graduate Student Association
- Diversity – advocacy, information and resources for postdoc inclusion
- Environmental action – advocacy and awareness
- Foreign nationals - advocacy, information and welcome sessions
- Fundraising - biannual vendor presentations
- Postdoc Editors Association – free manuscript and thesis editing service
- Representation at National Postdoctoral Association meetings
- Representation on the Biomedical Postdoctoral Advisory Committee
- Seminars on a wide range of topics
- Social and sporting events
Please see individual committee pages for events and further information.
See our regular BPC emails sent via the BPP office.
Read BPP Weekly Newsletter for a great way to stay up-to-date with the latest postdoc news.
Join the Council!
New, enthusiastic volunteers are always welcome to serve as council members, committee members, or to help organize events. As a council member, you have the opportunity to form and change postdoctoral policies, gain career-enhancing skills and build an invaluable network of peers.
The BPC holds meetings at 5pm on the first working Monday of every month. Currently, meetings are held virtually via Zoom, which all postdocs are welcome to join.