Diversity & Inclusion

Penn Med Student FAQ

I could use some study skills coaching. Who can I meet with one-on-one about that?

Learning Specialist’s office hours for PSOM students — click for details

When:  Fridays, 2:30-4:30 pm

Where: Study Room G at the Biomed Library, Johnson Pavilion, 36th & Hamilton Walk

If you would you like to: 

  • Learn how to prepare for med school exams
  • Focus on the course objectives 
  • Identify your learning preferences 
  • Transform the lectures into personalized learning material in managed time

Then consider stopping in for a walk-in consultation with Dr. Rashmi Kumar, Specialist in STEM Learning! (What's a Learning Specialist?) In addition to office hours, individual appointments can be made. Visit the Weingarten Learning Resources Center website for more information.

You can also:

  • Email or visit Carrie Renner on the 6th floor of JMEC. If a subject tutor is needed, Carrie will assign you one.
  • Go directly to Student Disability Services at Weingarten to discuss concerns and request assessment. You will be referred to an outside source for testing which will share the approved accommodations results with our office. The reason for accommodations will not be shared with PSOM. If you have received accommodations in the past, you still must self-identify with Student Disability Services and meet with a representative from their office.

Please know that accepting help from a tutor or receiving accommodations on exams will not appear in your PSOM record or be shared with residency programs.


If I have a personal mental health concern, who can I talk to?

CAPS embedded programming and mental health specialists outside of CAPS — click for details

For the summer, Dr. Tiffany Brown from CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) will be in Smilow 1-102 or 1-103 from 4-7 pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for walk-in appointments.

In addition to dropping in to see Dr. Brown on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, you can set up an appointment with her ahead of time by calling 215-898-7021.

CAPS is open for walk-in and scheduled appointments at their main office at 3624 Market Street, Suite 1.

Summer hours (May 18-August 24) for CAPS are: 

  • Monday, Thursday, & Friday: 9 am-5 pm
  • Tuesday & Wednesday: 9 am-7 pm

For recommendations for specialists outside of CAPS, please contact Carrie Renner.


I have a concern in my personal life which may cause me to: fall behind on preclinical work; miss class/clinical duties; or request an extension on a project/exam. Who should I talk to?

Feeling anxious, stressed out or just need to vent?

Feel free to talk to anyone you feel comfortable talking with, including your Doctoring preceptors, Advisory Deans, and all staff and faculty up on the 6th floor at JMEC.

PDI hours (appointments are not required):

Monday, 3-5 pm: Dr. DaCarla Albright

Tuesday, 3-5 pm: Dr. Horace DeLisser

Wednesday, 3-5 pm: Dr. Cindy Christian

Thursday, 3-5 pm: Dr. Sharon Lewis

Friday, 3-5 pm: Dr. Roy Hamilton

Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm: Erika Dawson and Dorothy Harris are almost always here!

Seeking help isn’t a sign of weakness. And talking to any of these people about your mental health and well-being will not affect your grades or professional standing! We are NEVER. TOO. BUSY. to help you, ok?


Need a medical appointment?

The first stop is always your private Primary Care Physician (PCP). If your PCP is not local, you should use Student Health Services (SHS): 215-746-3535, www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs.

If you are very concerned and need to see a physician before your appointment time, contact Dr. Jon Morris: jon.morris@uphs.upenn.edu.

You are responsible for following up with your insurance company. You may need to call them to discuss details.


Locker issues?

For help during office hours (8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday), stop by the Registrar’s Office on the 6th floor of JMEC. Before or after office hours and on weekends, call HUP Security at 215-615-5656.


How do I get a Letter of Good Standing?

The request form can be found on the Student Portal: https://www.med.upenn.edu/student/current-students.html

You can also stop by the Registrar’s Office in JMEC on the 6th floor. Depending on the type of letter and level of personalization required, you can also go to your Advisory Dean or your Doctoring Preceptor.


Financial aid questions?

For questions about your financial aid package, please contact Jeanmarie Fox or Michael Sabara. Both are in JMEC on the 6th floor - stop by or email them!


I'm presenting at a conference. Can I get funding?

Yes, you have options! Click here!

  1. Start by looking at the Research Opportunities website, which provides a sampling of travel grants.

  2. If you are presenting at the conference, the Academic Programs Office (aka the 6th floor) will reimburse you up to $500 per fiscal year once you return from the conference.

  3. You can also apply for funding via GAPSA.

  4. Ask your mentor and/or mentor’s department if funding is available.


How can I find out about shadowing opportunities?


How can I find out about research opportunities?

A great place to find information is the Research Opportunities website. It provides info on starting the process, guidance, funding opportunities, research resources, and much more!

Still have questions? Contact Amy Nothelfer, Associate Director, Combined Degree and Physician Scholar Programs.


How do I get reimbursed for student group or travel expenses?

Also known as "What is Concur?" 


I need to reserve a room for a meeting. Who do I contact?

Please contact Jon McCabe at mccabe2@pennmedicine.upenn.edu.

Sure, you can try to figure out yourself. Trust me, going to Jon McCabe will make your life easier.


Thanks for your patience as we continue to add content! If you'd like to add a question to this page, please email us and let us know.