Establish a Search Committee
- Initiate a formal search process
- The search committee should be appointed by the department chair
- Establish a formal search committee for each faculty position
Important Search Committee Notes
The search process should be sufficiently broad to capture all qualified individuals, including and especially those who are members of underrepresented groups: ensure that full and fair consideration has been given to women and minorities.
- The search committee will include minimum of three (3) faculty members; ensure membership is diverse to include women and minorities; the Diversity Search Advisor (DSA) may serve on the search committee, but is not required as search committee member. The DSA serves as an advisor to the search committee.
- Review proposed search committee members with the Search Chair and Diversity Search Advisor (DSA). A faculty member from outside the department would be able to provide objective perspectives and will be helpful if the position is designed to collaborate with other departments.
Wherever possible, search committees should include individuals from groups underrepresented on the Penn faculty, proponents of diversity, and individuals with clinical and research interests compatible with those sought through the search.
Create a Faculty Position for Advertisement
Faculty positions must be advertised and searches conducted in accordance with the Affirmative Action Guidelines and procedures of the University and the Perelman School of Medicine. The faculty position must be posted and published at least three (3) months before a preferred candidate may be identified and hired for a faculty appointment
- Login to my.med and create the faculty position in Ad Generator 3.0
- Submit the position to Interfolio Faculty Search and add the search committee members
- Review the position description for accuracy and submit for approval in Interfolio Faculty Search
Important Search Requirements
- The position must be approved by OAA staff and a Diversity Search Advisor (DSA) before publishing in journals and open to applicants.
- After DSA approval, the faculty position is posted on the OAA website in Open Faculty Positions
- Approved faculty positions will be uploaded automatically from Interfolio Faculty Search to the publications designated by the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs. See Faculty Search Resources (from the provost's office) for more information
- The faculty position must be published in a minimum of one (1) professional journal (journals may be either on-line or hard copy publications). The ad placement services with JobElephant may be helpful for publishing your ads.
- Additional outreach should be conducted to women’s and minority organizations to expand and diversify the applicant pool: Diverse Advertising Resources
- A national direct search letter from the department chair /search committee chair may be sent to universities, schools, and departments (may use email for distribution) for outreach to applicants
- All faculty applicants must apply online in Interfolio per University policy
- The faculty position and search letter are valid for up to two (2) years
To close a position before the 2-year expiration date, please contact the Office of Academic Affairs.