Content Management System (CMS)
What is MODX?
MODX is a web-based Content Management System or CMS that allows you to manage the content of your site. This is also included in the General Instructions under “1.1 What is MODX?” section.
Is there a demo of MODX that I can preview prior to committing to it?
Currently, we do not provide an interactive demo of MODX but you can view MODX by watching the MODX Training videos. The videos cover the dashboard, the layout of the MODX interface, content editor tools and more. To get access to the videos, submit a request for MODX Training and include in the form that the training is to preview MODX.
I need to develop a website and am not sure whether the templated self-administered ones are appropriate or whether I need to have a more custom design; where should I go?
Check out the PMACS Web Team Services page for information on web site hosting and web site design & maintenance to see if either of these services fits your web site needs.
I can't get into my site, what should I do?
- Go to the General Instructions under “1.3 How Do I Log In?” section.
- Make sure you have completed your MODX training and submitted the form at the very end of the training. Otherwise, your site is not ready and you will not have publisher access to the site yet.
- If you have completed training, the site is set up and you're still not able to get in with the correct URL and your PennKey credentials, please submit a MODX ticket with a description of the issue and the error message you receive when attempting to log in, if any.
How do I log into the editor dashboard so I can edit our website?
Go to the General Instructions under “1.3 How Do I Log In?” section.
I am getting a Chrome + PennKey authentication looping error, how do I get past it?
When using the Google Chome browser to manage your site, you may occasionally see a error like this:
This is a known issue with the Chrome browser specifically. To fix this error, clear the cache in your Chrome browser. Next, refresh your page.
How do I request access to my site? I just finished the MODX training on KnowledgeLink.
Once you have completed the training, submit the "Request Account Login" form at the very end of the last training module to request access to your site.
I already have publisher access to a site, how do I get access to another site?
On the PMACS Web Team site, find ‘Need Help’ within the main menu. Under ‘Need Help’, click the link “Request Account Login” to view the form to request access to a site. Make sure to add the site(s) you are a publisher for under “Additional Websites”.
I can't remember my manager login URL and can't find the email with it, what do I do?
The manager URL is easy to remember. The URL is your site URL with ‘/manager’ at the end. For example, http://www.med.upenn.edu/sitename/manager (replace ‘sitename’ with your accountname)
How do I get my colleague training and access to our site?
On the PMACS Web Team site, find ‘Need Help’ within the main menu. Under ‘Need Help’, click the link “Request MODX Training” to view the form to request MODX training. Refer the colleague to this form to complete and submit.
Additional Website Features
How do I setup and use Google Analytics?
View instructions on how to get started with setting up Google Analytics.
How and when does my website appear in google search results?
- All sites set up by the PMACS Web Team are added to the Google Search Console when the sites are launched. After being added, it takes some time for the site to be indexed by Google and for your site to start showing up in search results.
- IF your site is secured using PennKey protection or username and password, the site will not appear in a google search results.
- For more information on Google’s Search Console, go to their Search Console Help page.
How do I add a form or modify an existing form on my site?
- We provide a web-based form application called Machform. If you'd like to get started, first check out the key features of Machform. If you're interested, please submit the Request a MachForm Account form.
- Already use Machform but need access to the forms for your organization? Email email@example.com for access to your form(s). Be sure to specify which organization you work in and which form(s) you would like to access.
- Already use Machform, have access but can’t edit? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for access to edit your form(s). Be sure to specify which organization you work in and which form(s) you would like to have access to edit.
- Some form changes must be made by PMACS Web Team. If you'd like to make a specific change and you're unable to, or you're experiencing a problem with your form, please submit the Request Help with MachForm form.
How do I re-watch the Knowledge Link training videos?
View instructions on how to rewatch KnowledgeLink training videos.
How do I switch my Self Serve theme?
On the General Instructions under “2.2.4 Extras” section, see “Color Theme” for instructions.
Can I make the Penn logo smaller and/or add another logo?
- On the Web Standards site, the following is stated: “The logo may not be altered from its original form. Its dimensions may not be distorted, and it may not be displayed smaller than 60 pixels in height. It should be placed in the upper left-hand corner of the page for consistency and should link back to the Perelman School of Medicine home page.” (As of 5/2018)
- To add another logo, email email@example.com with your request. Please remember that the upper left-hand corner is reserved for the PSOM logo only.
Is it possible to change or add something to the global header?
Unless your site has customizations to allow for editable content in the header, the header content is unchangeable.
How do I change the name of my site title (H1)?
The site title is set at the beginning of the site creation and is not client-editable. To change the title, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
How do I PennKey protect pages?
On the General Instructions, go to the “9.1 PennKey Protect a Page” section for instructions.
How do I PennKey protect documents?
On the General Instructions, go to the “9.2 PennKey Protect a File” section for instructions.
How do I password protect pages?
Email email@example.com with your request. Be sure to include information about how many pages need to be protected, if multiple pages need to be secured with the same credentials or they need to vary, etc.
How do I create child pages?
On the General Instructions, go to the “5.2.2 How to Add Nested Page to a Container” section for instructions.
How do I create containers?
On the General Instructions, go to the “5.2.1 How to Create a Container (Parent)” section for instructions.
How do I display videos that are not on YouTube?
- If the video you want to display offers iframe code, see “8.10 IFrame” instructions in the General Instructions.
- If the video is not hosted anywhere, email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a video server for your organization and we'll assist you in adding the video to your site.
- If the video is hosted but does not provide iframe code, our richtext editor does not support embedding the video. Consider taking a screenshot of the video and linking to the real video.
How do I re-order accordions?
To reorder accordion items, drag and drop them up and down the list in the order you would like them to display.
How do I recover a deleted page?
- It is a 2 step process to permanently delete a page. The first step to delete a page is to click ‘Delete’ and the page still displays in the Resource tree as red strikethrough text. The second step to permanently purge ALL deleted pages by clicking the trashcan icon at the top of the Resource tree.
- If the page is still visible in the Resource tree, you can right-click on the deleted page and select “Undelete” to recover the page. Otherwise, it is permanently deleted and cannot be recovered.
How do I display personnel without any photos (no default placeholder)?
- There is an option to “Show/Hide Photos in Personnel Profiles” on Self Serves. Set to hide the photos in the personnel profiles and all photos will be hidden and the default placeholder photos will not appear.
- If this option is not offered or you would like the option to include photos for only some of the faculty, email email@example.com to request this feature for your personnel page.
Our personnel list is sorted alphabetically but the most recently added member is not alphabetized and instead appears at the bottom of the list. Is there a way to adjust this function?
The list for Personnel (like other features including accordions) does not have the function to automatically alphabetized. It is default behavior for the new item to be added to the bottom of the list. You can rearrange the list by clicking and dragging individual list items.
How do I link email addresses and phone numbers?
On the General Instructions, under the “8.7 Links” section, go to “8.7.3 Link to an Email” and “8.7.4 Link to a Phone Number” for instructions.
How do I link from one page to an anchor on another page?
On the General Instructions, under the “8.7 Links” section, follow the instructions on “8.7.5 Create and Link to an In-Page Anchor” section to create the anchor(s). Then, navigate to the other page where you want to link text to the anchor created on a different page. Follow instructions on “8.7.0 Link to a Page within Your Site” and when adding the link URL with the resource ID code: , add ‘#anchorname’ to the end of the code. For example: contribute-training-request.html#anchorname
How to get a link to open in a new tab?
On the General Instructions, under the “8.7 Links” section, go to “8.7.1 Link to a URL” for instructions.
I am linking to a file on my site, but it is not working. What do I do?
On the General Instructions, under the “8.7 Links” section, go to “8.7.2 Link to a File” and make sure all the settings, such as protocol, follow the instructions. Also, be sure that all files are properly managed in the appropriate directories. For more information, see “4.4 Manage File(s)”.
How do I resize images in content area?
There is no tool in the richtext editor that allows you to resize images. There are several free web-based tools you can use to resize your image and then upload them to your site.
How do you rotate the orientation of an uploaded photo?
You can add a photo to any page using a template that includes a slideshow feature. When you add more than one photo to a slideshow, the photos will rotate on the page.
The file I uploaded exceeds file size limitation, what do I do?
- Try to compress your file and reduce the file size. The method to do this varies by the program you are using to compress your file i.e. Acrobat, Word, Powerpoint.
- If you have already tried to compress the file and reduce the size but it still exceeds the file size limit, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your file size and request a larger file size limit.
Where can I get good stock images?
We do not provide any stock images but there are resources that offer free well priced images. One example is iStockPhoto, who offers royalty free, reasonably priced image that are fairly high quality.
Where can I get good stock images of Penn?
We go to Flickr where the University has public albums. Here is the link to the University of Pennsylvania Flickr Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/universityofpennsylvania/sets/
How do I set up a redirect from my old site?
Contact email@example.com with your request. Be sure to include the old site URL and the new redirect URL.
How do I change my website url?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Be sure to include your current site URL and the new desired URL.
How much do your services cost?
As stated on the PMACS Web Team Services page, our services are currently free of charge.