HeartRescue Project - Community Outreach
Did you know?
- Sudden cardiac arrest is a leading cause of death in the US, killing more than 350,000 Americans each year, which is more than lung, breast and prostate cancer and AIDS combined
- The average national survival rate is only 8% and has not improved in 30 years
- Success begins with public bystanders! Effective bystander CPR can double or triple the chance of survival
Community education is an important component of the PA HeartRescue Project mission. We work in partnership with key community allies, including EMS, schools, government leaders, health educators, and community groups to raise public awareness on sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). We recognize bystander action as a critical part of improving survival from SCA, and seek to educate Pennsylvanians on how to recognize and respond to sudden cardiac arrest.
Our programs promote these 3 easy steps to help save a life:
If you see someone collapse suddenly, check if the victim is responsive.
- Call 911 for emergency assistance if no response.
- Start chest compressions immediately
- Put person on their back
- Put the heel of your hand on the center of their chest put your other hand on top of the first
- With your arms straight, push down hard and fast
- Keep pushing until additional help arrives
- Send someone to find an AED (automated external defibrillator) if one is available. Use the AED as soon as it arrives.
- Remove the victim's shirt, turn on the AED and follow the voice prompts
- Continue chest compressions after shocking the victim with the AED
To practice these steps, visit the HeartRescue Project Save-A-Life Simulator
For more information about SCA, including education videos, training programs, and resources, please visit the HeartRescue Project Community Resource Tips and Tools.
Lend a Hand Save a Life CPR Challenge
Be a CPR champion in your community. Help us train 1,000,000 people in Pennsylvania!
Pennsylvania HeartRescue Project, the Pennsylvania Bureau of EMS, and the American Heart Association are partnering in a statewide campaign to increase public awareness of cardiac arrest and teach bystander CPR in the community. The campaign is a call to action to EMS providers, health educators, and community leaders to teach the general public about sudden cardiac arrest and train 1,000,000 people across Pennsylvania in hands-only CPR by the end of February 2014.
Click here for more information on the Challenge and to download our CPR Event Resource Packet.
To track your training event numbers and follow progress towards our goal, please visit www.heart.org/lendahandsavealife.
Pennsylvania HeartRescue Project has banners, hands-only CPR instruction wallet cards, and resource packets to help spread the word about SCA and CPR. For materials, or questions about how to get involved in community outreach, please email email@example.com