This application is for students from U.S. and Canadian medical schools, which have been accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or by the American Osteopathic Association. Students from international medical schools can find eligibility and application information on the Center for Global Health website.
How to Apply
A student in good standing is eligible to apply for up to eight weeks of electives after completing the majority of the clerkships. Minimum requirements are medicine, surgery, and the core clerkship in the area of interest. The documents must be postmarked at least five weeks before the rotation start date. Any application received after this deadline will not be processed. There are two parts to the application process. One portion must be completed on-line and the rest should be mailed by the home school to:
Visiting Student Coordinator
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Jordan Medical Education Center, 6th Floor
3400 Civic Center Boulevard, Building 421
Philadelphia, PA 19104-5162
Applications are considered to be complete when the on-line section has been submitted and all paper documentation has been received. The “completion date” is used to process the application since the majority of electives are offered on a first-complete, first served basis. Please use our Visiting Student Checklist as a guide through the application process. Please note that all students will be contacted once applications are reviewed.
Review dates to be sure that UPenn’s elective schedule fits with the schedule at your institution. You must abide by our standard, 4 week rotation dates—shortened or altered dates are not available. This policy is non-negotiable.
- Review courses in the catalogue, https://oasis.med.upenn.edu/public/catalog/select_student_level.html and find those of interest. We strongly encourage you to select as many courses as possible and as many dates as available in order to improve your chances of being placed.
- We use OASIS, https://oasis.med.upenn.edu/public/register/index.html for the on-line registration/course selection part of the process. Please use the link to complete the following sections:
- Register for Visiting Student Account
- Complete Steps 1 through 4 (click-in to each Step at top of page)
- Step One: Personal Information—save after you complete this page and go to Step Two
- Step Two: Select Schedule—select the department of interest and then click search. A list of all available electives will appear. Click “Add” and then choose the date of your choice. It is recommended that you add as many dates as possible for each elective in order to maximize your chances of securing an elective. After you have listed all possible electives in order of preference, proceed to Step Three
- Step Three: Print Application—please keep in mind that there are two pages to this form. Once you have printed out Page 1 of 2, please click the “then go to Page 2” section. Please print this page also. This page must be handed in to your school to fill out, sign and seal as indicated.
- Step Four: Mail Application—please mail your completed application to the address indicated.
- There are several paper documents that must also be mailed in. The following must be submitted in order to complete your application and receive approval:
- Print-out online OASIS application. This includes both Page 1 (to be filled out by you), and Page 2 (to be filled out by your school).
- Submit the Immunization Record to be completed in full by a health care provider
- Students must have received two PPD results within 12 months of each other with the most recent one within 12 months of the requested elective date.
- Provide documentation of personal health insurance (a photocopy of your insurance card is sufficient).
- Statement from your school confirming that a successful criminal background check was performed.
Acceptance Fee & Costs
If your selected courses are available, an acceptance e-mail will be sent to you. To confirm your enrollment you are required to send a NON-REFUNDABLE registration fee of $150 per elective within 10 days of receiving the acceptance notification. Please do not send a check with your initial application materials. Please be aware that this is a registration fee and cannot be refunded if you later choose to drop the course. Checks should be made payable to “The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania.”
If your selected courses have pediatric patient contact the State of Pennsylvania requires the following for anyone working with children—
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearances (CY113)
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Checks for Volunteers (SP4-164A)
- Cogent - Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal Background Checks
- Approximate charges will be $45.00
Housing, Meals and Parking
You are responsible for locating and paying for your own transportation, housing, meals and parking. Since parking is scarce and expensive, you may want to contact the Campus Park and Ride Company. Please keep in mind that Campus Park and Ride is not affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. We are providing this information out of courtesy.
Also, final housing arrangements should be deferred until enrollment has been confirmed in case we are unable to accommodate your course request.
Short-term HOUSING opportunities:
- RotatingRoom.com: student-to-student sublets, ideal for away rotations
- International House
- Samson Place
Local public TRANSPORTATION - SEPTA
Upon the completion of your elective you will be evaluated via OASIS
(on-line evaluation system). Once your performance evaluation is available,
you can log into the system (using your OASIS user name and password) to
view and print a copy for your school.
Please note: Our faculty are not required to complete non-UPenn evaluation
- Offers for the summer months of May - August are sent in April
- Offers for the fall months of September - December are sent in July
- Offers for spring months of January - April are sent in December
Please note that all students will be contacted either way (offer or no offer). If you have not heard from us, it means we are still in the progress of placing students.
|Month||Start Date||Friday End Date*|
|February||February 3, 2020||February 28, 2020|
|March||March 2, 2020||March 27, 2020|
|April||March 30, 2020||April 24, 2020|
|May||April 27, 2020||May 22, 2020|
|June||May 26, 2020 (Tuesday)||June 19, 2020|
|Vacation||Sat, June 20, 2020***||Sun, July 5, 2020|
|July||July 6, 2020||July 31, 2020|
|August||August 3, 2020||August 28, 2020|
|September||August 31, 2020||September 25, 2020|
|October||September 28, 2020||October 23, 2020|
|November||October 26, 2020||November 20, 2020|
|December||November 23, 2020||December 18, 2020|
**Medicine, Pediatric , Emergency Medicine SubIs and MICU end on Sundays
***Vacation TBD determined for June Medicine SubI students