My name is Mary Regina Boland. I am an Assistant Professor of Informatics in the Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics in the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. I am also a Senior Fellow in the Institute for Biomedical Informatics and an Affiliate Member of the Center for Excellence in Environmental Toxicology at University of Pennsylvania. I am also an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Biomedical and Health informatics (DBHi) at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I lead the Fertility and Health Informatics Lab at the University of Pennsylvania.
Previously, I completed my PhD in biomedical informatics at Columbia University. I am a member of the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) and a Special Program Committee member for their Annual meeting this November in Washington D.C.. I hope to see you there!
On the informatics-side, my work focuses on developing novel and interesting data mining methods that integrate data from electronic health records, observational health data and genetic data. On the clinical side, my work focuses on the relationship between environment and disease, especially during the prenatal / perinatal period. Because developmental effects due to the environment can be hard to study in adult populations, I use birth-related data (such as birth month) as a proxy for the environment at birth (perinatal) and prior to birth (prenatal).
- MR Boland, MS Kraus, E Dziuk, AR Gelzer. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Varies by Birth Month in Canines. Scientific Reports; 2018; 8:7130.
- MR Boland, F Polubriaginof, NP Tatonetti. Development of A Machine Learning Algorithm to Classify Drugs Of Unknown Fetal Effect. Scientific Reports. 2017; 7: 12839.
- MR Boland, P Parhi, L Li, R Miotto, R Carroll, U Iqbal, P-A Nguyen, M Schuemie, SC You, D Smith, S Mooney, P Ryan, Y-C Li, RW Park, J Denny, JT Dudley, G Hripcsak, P Gentine, NP Tatonetti. Uncovering exposures responsible for birth season – disease effects: a global study..J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2017; In press.
- MR Boland, P Parhi, P Gentine, NP Tatonetti. Climate Classification is an Important Factor in Assessing Quality-of-Care Across Hospitals. Scientific Reports. 2017; 7: 4948.
- MR Boland, K Karczewski, NP Tatonetti. Ten Simple Rules to Enable Multi-site Collaborations through Data Sharing. PLOS Computational Biology. 2017; 13 (1), e1005278.
- MR Boland, NP Tatonetti. Investigation of 7-DeHydroCholesterol Reductase Pathway to Elucidate Off-Target Prenatal Effects of Pharamceuticals: A Systematic Review. The Pharmacogenomics Journal. 2016; 16(5): 411–429.
- L Li*, MR Boland*, R Miotto*, NP Tatonetti, J Dudley. Replicating Cardiovascular Condition-Birth Month Associations. Scientific Reports. 2016; 6: 33166. *Equal Contribution First-Author
- K Roberts, MR Boland, L Pruinelli, JD Cruz, A Berry, M Georgsson, R Hazen, RF Sarmiento, U Backonja, K-H Yu, Y Jiang, PF Brennan. Biomedical informatics advancing the national health agenda: The AMIA 2015 Year-in-Review in clinical & consumer informatics. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016; 24 (e1), e185-e190.
PhD Biomedical Informatics, 2017 Columbia University, 2013-2017
Doctoral Thesis: Systems-Level Approach to Understand the Seasonal Factors of Early Development with Clinical and Pharmacological Applications
MPhil Biomedical Informatics, 2016 Columbia University
MA Biomedical Informatics, 2012 Columbia University, 2010-2012
Masters Thesis: Associating Periodontal Diseases with Medical Conditions by Linking Medical and Dental Records
BS Bioinformatics, 2010 Saint Vincent College, 2006-2010
Undergraduate Thesis: Functional Annotation of Putatively Conserved Non-Coding Regions in B. Floridae
Minors: Computer Science, History
Research in Media
A Dog's Birth Month May Predict Its Cardiovascular Health by Stanley Coren May 23, 2018
Link Between Birth Month and Canine Heart Disease Risk by Kerry Lengyel May 22, 2018
Penn study: Summer puppies more prone to heart disease by Stacey Burling May 21, 2018
How a dog's birth month impacts its health by Joseph Pinkstone May 18, 2018
How the Seasons Affect Our Health by Alexandra Thompson Nov. 15, 2017
How Having a Spring Birthday Could Affect Your Health by Amanda Gardner Mar. 3, 2017
What Your Birth Month Can Tell You About Your Health Risks by Susannah Bradley Jan. 31, 2017
What's the Healthiest Month to Be Born In? by Anna Miller Aug. 31, 2016
The Shocking Things Your Birthday Says About Your Health by Elizabeth Narins Jun. 10, 2015
Scientists have discovered how the month you’re born matters for your health by Ana Swanson Jun.15, 2015
My Twitter Updates
Mary Regina Boland 1 month ago
Mary Regina Boland 1 month, 4 weeks ago
Mary Regina Boland 2 months, 1 week ago
American Society for Reproductive Medicine Annual Meeting
October 6-10, 2018
AMIA Annual Symposium
November 3-7, 2018