Reaching Out for Help and Preparing for Potential Emergencies

Crisis Intervention & Legal Resources

Below are resources for crisis intervention, preparing for emergencies, interacting with law enforcement, and finding legal support. Click on the toggles to reveal more information. Please contact us for additional resources and support.

  • Call 911 if you or your loved one are in immediate danger.

    • Be sure to inform the operator that it is a psychiatric emergency if it is, and ask for an officer who is trained in crisis intervention or trained to aid people experiencing a psychiatric emergency.

    • Inform law enforcement that HD affects mood, movement, thinking abilities, and behavior control. Advise law enforcement to give the person with HD sufficient time to process questions and respond. Also, officers and other professionals should maintain eye contact with the person with HD, and they should clearly state tasks and commands one at a time. This will help the person with HD to focus and better understand law enforcement. It can also help prevent injustice due to misunderstandings and lack of awareness of HD by law enforcement.

    • Please see the resources below for more information about informing law enforcement about HD. Viewing these resources before an incident occurs can help you be prepared in case of an emergency.

  • Suicide and Other Mental Health Crises:National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Logo

  • Child & Adult Protective Services:

    • Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline – Call or Text 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) or use the Live Online Chat to receive 24/7 support from professional crisis counselors. The hotline offers crisis intervention, information, and referrals to thousands of emergency, social service, and support resources. All calls, texts, and chats are confidential. For more information by state, please visit the Childhelp website.
    • Pennsylvania ChildLine – Call ChildLine at 1-800-932-0313 to report suspected child abuse. Trained specialists are available 24/7 to receive referrals of suspected child abuse and general child well-being concerns. IMPORTANT: ChildLine should only be used for reporting abuse. 

      • Email for general questions related to mandated reporting, or clearances. NOT TO REPORT ABUSE.
    • Pennsylvania Adult Protective Services – Call 1-800-490-8505 to report suspected elder abuse or abuse of an adult with a disability. A report can be made on behalf of the adult whether they live in their home or in a care facility, such as a nursing home, group home, hospital, or another facility. Reporters can remain anonymous and have legal protection from retaliation, discrimination, and civil and criminal prosecution. The statewide Protective Services Hotline is available 24/7. For more information by state, please visit the National Adult Protective Services website

  • Sexual Assault:

  • Domestic Violence: