Department of Microbiology

Other University Services


Request for Purchase Order

The Administrative Office will enter purchase order requests for those labs who do not have access to BEN FINANCIALS. These requests need to be typed on the PO requisition form, printed and signed by the PI or authorized signer. The Administrative Office reviews all PO's for compliance, active fund number and authorized signature before they are approved from processing.


Requests for purchase orders for equipment items over $5,000 must have three quotes or a bid waiver letter stating why three bids could not be obtained. An Expenditure Justification Form must be completed if item was not previously budgeted for. When the purchase order is entered, it will ask for a custodian. If it is considered lab equipment, the PI is the custodian. If it is departmental equipment, Paul Lopez is the custodian.


An Expenditure Justification Form must be completed explaining why the computer is necessary and how it will benefit the project. If computing equipment is not purchased from Computer Connection, it may require a letter from the School of Medicine's Director of Information Services. Please consult the Department's Information Systems Manager to obtain such approvals before submitting a purchase order.

Ordering Alcohol

Please submit your order online  and enter Derrick Bowman, as the approver. You will get a confirmation of the order within 24 hours. Sandra Wiggins will deliver the alcohol to the lab.

ProCard Policy

There are a limited number of procards assigned to each department in the School of Medicine, and all departmental procards cards are currently assigned to existing faculty members. Those who currently hold a university procurement card in the department have the following responsibilities:

  • Secure the procard in a locked location so only the cardholder has access to the number.
  • Before initiating a transaction, refer to the University commodity matrix   to confirm that a PO or c-form would be a more appropriate method of payment.
  • Each time the procard is used, email the Financial Coordinator (Beth at to verify the authorized charge. The email must contain the following information:
    • the name of the vendor,
    • the total purchase price of the item(s),
    • the grant/account where the charge should be allocated,
    • and the type of item which was purchased (ie. scientific supply, office supply, book, computer software). This information is needed to transfer the item to the correct account in a timely manner.
  • At the end of every month, each procard holder receives a financial statement. It is the responsibility of the procard holder to review this statement, sign it, and return it to the Administrative Office with attached invoices and packing slips; the business purpose should be written on each invoice.
  • Tax should never be charged to procard transactions. If tax is charged on any item, including food items, the vendor needs to be contacted to credit the procard account.
  • All procard receipts must be saved for seven years. In the event of an audit, the procard holder is required to produce all receipts in an organized manner.
  • Failure to follow the above rules will result in card privileges being revoked.

Each procard holder is also required to use the procard in a responsible manner. A complete copy of the Procurement Credit Card user guide is available in the Administrative Office. Of special notice in the guide are the list of restrictions. The following commodities are not to be purchased on the procard:

Restricted Transactions
  • Travel and entertainment related expenses and advances, with the exception of registration fees and box lunches. (Box lunches can only be charged to departmental accounts).
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • Animals and animal related purchases
  • Annual equipment maintenance contracts
  • Automotive gasoline
  • Biologicals
  • Cash Advances
  • Catering services where a signed contract is required
  • Cellular phones and related monthly charges
  • Chemicals
  • Construction and renovation costs
  • Consulting services
  • Office and Laboratory furniture
  • Prescription drugs and controlled substances
  • Personal items
  • Radioactive and hazardous materials

In addition to the above, the following transactions are not permitted on grants and contracts unless approved by the Business Office:

  • Meals, food and any entertainment expenses
  • Memberships, dues and subscriptions


To help avoid out-of-pocket expenses when traveling, call World Travel, Inc at 1-888-641-9112 to make your airline and car rental reservations. Provide them with the 26-digit account number and ask them to email your reservation for approval to You will get an email confirmation with "e-tickets" in it.

Fill out the Reimbursement Form - Corporate form to have Accounts Payable send a check to the vendors to pay for your registration and hotel in advance. Remember to include your completed registration form and use the 26-digit FinMIS account number.

After travel has occurred fill out the Travel and Entertainment Expense Report and remember to include all original receipts.

Please visit the Travel Office's website  for more information.

Travel Tips

  1. Consult with World Travel, Inc at 1-888-641-9112 for airline flight reservations. There will be no out-of-pocket expenses charged to you. Be aware that when making international travel arrangements that is being charged to a federal grant, you are required to use US carriers only.
  2. Most registration fees can be charged to a Procard, avoiding out-of-pocket expenses to you.
  3. Save all original paid receipts for travel (hotel, meals, taxis, etc.). Boarding passes will be needed, if you choose not to use World Travel for your airline tickets. We need to provide proof that you actually paid for a transaction, and not simply made a reservation. A credit card statement can be used as proof of payment.
  4. There are per diem rates (see Comptroller's Office Site ) for each city to cover your food expenses while you are travelling, if you choose not to save your receipts and itemize your meals.
  5. If requesting reimbursement for mileage when using your personal car, calculate the number of miles by .565 (56.5 cents per mile). You can also be reimbursed for tolls, but not the purchase of gas.
  6. Documentation providing proof of the conference/meeting should be included.
  7. Always use the on-line C-1 form to request travel reimbursements that can be found by going to the Comptroller's Site  and clicking on forms. Scroll down to Travel and Entertainment Reimbursement (C-1 Form). If you are traveling outside the U.S. and are being reimbursed by a federal grant, you will also need to fill out the Travel and Entertainment Form.
  8. Before submitting your travel reimbursement, talk to your PI or the authorized signer in your lab about where to charge the expense. Usually your travel expenses will be charged to the same account that your salary is paid from.
  9. Travel reimbursements should be requested within 30 days of travel.

Please contact the Administration Office or refer to the Travel Office's website  for more details to assist you.

IRB Contacts and Forms

From the IRB: The best guidance we can give is call us any time, particularly when you have "coded" specimens and you are unsure whether IRB review is required- We are more than happy to help.

IRB Guidance Site

Tracy Ziolek, MS
Associate Director, Compliance & QI 

Megan Kasimatis-Singleton, JD
Associate Director, Education & Training

Patrick Stanko
Analyst: Expedited Review, Biomedical Sciences

APP-1 Human Research Determination Worksheet

IRB guidance on when submission is required


© The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania | Site best viewed in a supported browser. | Site Design: PMACS Web Team.