Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
Perelman School of Medicine
ranked #3 among the best
medical schools in research
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
University of Pennsylvania ranked #4 among the world’s most innovative universities
- Black and White Women Have Same Mutations Linked to Breast Cancer Risk June 11, 2021 The prevalence of genetic mutations associated with breast cancer in Black and white women is the same, according to a new JAMA Oncology study of nearly 30,000 patients led by researchers in the Basser Center for BRCA at the Abramson Cancer Center.
- Awards & Accolades: May 2021 June 09, 2021 Learn how Penn clinicians and researchers are being honored by their peers.
- “Electronic Nose” Accurately Sniffs Out Hard-to-Detect Cancers June 01, 2021 An odor-based test that sniffs out vapors emanating from blood samples was able to distinguish between benign and pancreatic and ovarian cancer cells with up to 95 percent accuracy, according to a new study from researchers at the University of Pennsylvania and Penn’s Perelman School of Medicine.
- Penn Researchers Discover Drug that Blocks Multiple SARS-CoV-2 Variants in Mice May 28, 2021 The drug diABZI — which activates the body’s innate immune response — was highly effective in preventing severe COVID-19 in mice that were infected with SARS-CoV-2, according to scientists in the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Low on Antibodies, Blood Cancer Patients Can Fight off COVID-19 with T Cells May 27, 2021 Antibodies aren’t the only immune cells needed to fight off COVID-19 — T cells are equally important and can step up to do the job when antibodies are depleted, suggests a new Penn Medicine study of blood cancer patients with COVID-19 published in Nature Medicine.
The PP2A-Integrator-CDK9 axis fine-tunes transcription and can be targeted therapeutically in cancer.
Vervoort SJ, Welsh SA, Devlin JR, Barbieri E, Knight DA, Offley S, Bjelosevic S, ... Cell. 2021 Jun 10;184(12):3143-3162.e32 Epub 2021 May 17
SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine-Induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia.
Cines DB, Bussel JB The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Jun 10;384(23):2254-2256 Epub 2021 Apr 16
Seq-ing out cell types across the isocortex and hippocampal formation.
Ming GL, Song H Cell. 2021 Jun 10;184(12):3083-3085
Incidence and Prevalence of Granuloma Annulare in the United States.
Barbieri JS, Rodriguez O, Rosenbach M, Margolis D JAMA dermatology. 2021 Jun 9
Association of Granuloma Annulare With Type 2 Diabetes, Hyperlipidemia, Autoimmune Disorders, and Hematologic Malignant Neoplasms.
Barbieri JS, Rosenbach M, Rodriguez O, Margolis DJ JAMA dermatology. 2021 Jun 9