Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
Perelman School of Medicine
ranked #3 among the best
medical schools in research
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
Penn Medicine hospitals ranked #1 among top hospitals in Pennsylvania by U.S. News & World Reports
- Penn Researchers Use Unique Imaging Technology to Map Cells Tied to Inflammatory Bowel Disease September 16, 2021 New “maps” of hundreds of thousands of cells related to inflammatory bowel disease shed greater light on their effects on intestinal tissues through a newly utilized imaging technique called “imaging mass cytometry.”
- Penn Medicine Awarded $6 Million to Advance Understanding of Human Genome Function in Health and Disease September 16, 2021 The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has selected Penn Medicine as one of 25 award recipients across 30 sites in the United States to serve as Impact of Genomic Variation on Function (IGVF) investigators, with the goal of better understanding how genetic differences impact how human genes function, and how these variations influence human health and disease.
- Patients with Multiple Sclerosis Show Robust T-Cell Responses to mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines September 14, 2021 New research shows that Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients undergoing anti-CD20 (aCD20) treatment – which depletes the B cells that contribute to the MS attacks – are able to mount robust T-cell responses to the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, despite having a muted antibody response to the vaccines.
- Awards & Accolades: August 2021 September 13, 2021 Learn how Penn clinicians and researchers are being honored by their peers.
- Hospitals with More Inpatient Nurse Practitioners Linked to Better Outcomes, More Satisfied Patients September 10, 2021 Hospitals that employ more inpatient nurse practitioners (NPs) have lower surgical mortality, higher patient satisfaction, and lower costs of care, according to a new study published today in Medical Care.
Humanized CD19-Targeted Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T Cells in CAR-Naive and CAR-Exposed Children and Young Adults With Relapsed or Refractory Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
Myers RM, Li Y, Barz Leahy A, Barrett DM, Teachey DT, Callahan C, Fasano CC, ... Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2021 Sep 20;39(27):3044-3055 Epub 2021 Jun 22
Safety and Immunogenicity of an Anti-Zika Virus DNA Vaccine.
Tebas P, Roberts CC, Muthumani K, Reuschel EL, Kudchodkar SB, Zaidi FI, White S, ... The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Sep 16;385(12):e35
The immunostimulatory RNA RN7SL1 enables CAR-T cells to enhance autonomous and endogenous immune function.
Johnson LR, Lee DY, Eacret JS, Ye D, June CH, Minn AJ Cell. 2021 Sep 16;184(19):4981-4995.e14 Epub 2021 Aug 30
The origins of SARS-CoV-2: A critical review.
Holmes EC, Goldstein SA, Rasmussen AL, Robertson DL, Crits-Christoph A, Wertheim JO, Anthony SJ, ... Cell. 2021 Sep 16;184(19):4848-4856 Epub 2021 Aug 19
Oncogene-specific inhibition in the treatment of advanced pediatric thyroid cancer.
Franco AT, Ricarte-Filho JC, Laetsch TW, Bauer AJ The Journal of clinical investigation. 2021 Sep 15;131(18)