Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
Perelman School of Medicine
ranked #3 among the best
medical schools in research
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
University of Pennsylvania ranked #4 among the world’s most innovative universities
- COVID-19 Variant B.1.1.7 Found in Southeast Pennsylvania January 15, 2021 Evidence of infection by the highly transmissible B.1.1.7 variant of the COVID-19 coronavirus first identified in the United Kingdom has been found in a southeast Pennsylvania resident.
- Penn Physicist, Physician Team Awarded $2 Million NIH Grant to Develop Portable COVID-19 Detector for Use in Public Spaces January 14, 2021 A team led by physicists at the University of Pennsylvania and physicians at the University’s Perelman School of Medicine has been awarded a two-year, $2 million grant by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences for the development of a handheld device that can detect the signature “odor” of people with COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.
- Awards and Accolades: December 2020 January 14, 2021 Learn how Penn clinicians and researchers are being honored by their peers.
- New Treatment Target Discovered That Halts Osteoarthritis-Like Knee Cartilage Degeneration January 14, 2021 There is currently no cure for osteoarthritis, but a group of scientists believe they’ve discovered a method through which a simple knee injection could potentially stop the disease’s effects. These researchers showed that they could target a specific protein pathway in mice, put it into overdrive and halt cartilage degeneration over time. Building on that finding, they were able to show that treating mice with surgery-induced knee cartilage degeneration through the same pathway via the state of the art of nanomedicine could dramatically reduce the cartilage degeneration and knee pain.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation is Underused Across the Country. One Simple Change Could Fix That. January 14, 2021 Cardiac rehabilitation is a therapy that combines guided exercise along with heart-healthy lifestyle education that can be life-saving for the majority of people who have had a major cardiac event, such as a heart attack. However, it is underutilized in the United States, with many hospitals referring just 20 percent or fewer of their eligible patients, largely because the referral process can be cumbersome.
Bioactive lipids in antiviral immunity.
Theken KN, FitzGerald GA Science (New York, N.Y.). 2021 Jan 15;371(6526):237-238
Reply to A. K. Agrawal et al.
Dunsmore KP, Winter SS, Devidas M, Winick NJ, Carroll WL, Hunger SP Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2021 Jan 14;:JCO2003370
Targeting cartilage EGFR pathway for osteoarthritis treatment.
Wei Y, Luo L, Gui T, Yu F, Yan L, Yao L, Zhong L, ... Science translational medicine. 2021 Jan 13;13(576)
Resisting Racism in Dermatology: A Call to Action.
Lester JC, Taylor SC JAMA dermatology. 2021 Jan 13
Pregnancy in Hidradenitis Suppurativa-Patient Perspectives and Practice Gaps.
Adelekun AA, Villa NM, Hsiao JL, Micheletti RG JAMA dermatology. 2021 Jan 13