Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
Perelman School of Medicine
ranked #3 among the best
medical schools in research
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
University of Pennsylvania ranked #4 among the world’s most innovative universities
- Less is More for the Next Generation of CAR T Cells April 22, 2021 When researchers from Penn Medicine found that many patients with B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) treated with the investigational chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapy targeting the CD22 antigen didn’t respond, they went back to the drawing board to determine why.
- Ingredient in Indian Long Pepper Shows Promise Against Brain Cancer in Animal Models April 21, 2021 Piperlongumine, a chemical compound found in the Indian Long Pepper plant (Piper longum), is known to kill cancerous cells in many tumor types, including brain tumors. Now an international team including researchers from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania has illuminated one way in which the piperlongumine works in animal models — and has confirmed its strong activity against glioblastoma, one of the least treatable types of brain cancer.
- Preventing Evictions Remains Critical to Controlling COVID-19, Study Finds April 20, 2021 Renter protection policies that have curbed mass evictions during the COVID-19 pandemic have played a key role in preventing the spread of SARS-CoV-2 in U.S. cities, according to a new study published in Nature Communications.
- Study Helps Unravel Why Young, Pregnant Women Develop Heart Failure Similar to That of Older Patients April 20, 2021 Researchers at Penn Medicine have identified more genetic mutations that strongly predispose younger, otherwise healthy women to peripartum cardiomyopathy (PPCM), a rare condition characterized by weakness of the heart muscle that begins sometime during the final month of pregnancy through five months after delivery.
- Penn Study Finds Reassuring Data on Common Heart Valve Procedure, MitraClip April 19, 2021 A retrospective study led by researchers from Penn Medicine found that with MitraClip for treatment of secondary mitral regurgitation (MR), a heart disease associated with problems in the left ventricle, there was no negative effect of having a slightly smaller mitral valve opening as long as there was good reduction of the mitral regurgitation.
Cytokine Storm. Reply.
Fajgenbaum DC, June CH The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Apr 22;384(16):e59
Opportunities and Challenges for the Next Phase of Enhanced Recovery After Surgery: A Review.
Ljungqvist O, de Boer HD, Balfour A, Fawcett WJ, Lobo DN, Nelson G, Scott MJ, ... JAMA surgery. 2021 Apr 21
Genetic and Phenotypic Landscape of Peripartum Cardiomyopathy.
Goli R, Li J, Brandimarto J, Levine LD, Riis V, McAfee Q, DePalma S, ... Circulation. 2021 Apr 20
Response to Comment on "Circadian rhythms in the absence of the clock gene <i>Bmal1</i>".
Ray S, Valekunja UK, Stangherlin A, Howell SA, Snijders AP, Damodaran G, Reddy AB Science (New York, N.Y.). 2021 Apr 16;372(6539)
SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine-Induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia.
Cines DB, Bussel JB The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Apr 16