Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
Penn Medicine hospitals ranked #1 among top hospitals in Pennsylvania by U.S. News & World Reports
Office of Inclusion, Diversity
& Equity anchor programs
- About 12 Percent of Patients Who Receive Common Cardiac Device Implants Develop Persistent Opioid Use November 26, 2021 About 12 percent of patients who receive implantable cardiac devices such as a pacemaker or defibrillator and fill an opioid prescription after surgery will consistently use the pain medication in the months afterward.
- $10 Million Gift Establishes New Colton Center for Autoimmunity at Penn Medicine November 18, 2021 Thanks to a generous $10 million gift from Stewart and Judy Colton, the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania will continue to be on the leading edge of autoimmune research and care with the launch of the Colton Center for Autoimmunity at Penn.
- Common Gene Variants Linked to Sepsis and COVID-19 Severity in African Americans November 16, 2021 Two genetic risk variants that are carried by nearly 40 percent of Black individuals may exacerbate the severity of both sepsis and COVID-19, a team of researchers from the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine have found.
- Awards & Accolades: October 2021 November 16, 2021 Learn how Penn clinicians and researchers are being honored by their peers.
- Automated Texting System Saved Lives Weekly During First COVID Surge November 15, 2021 A life was saved twice a week by an automated text messaging system during the fraught early days of the COVID-19 pandemic and, overall, the patients who enrolled in that system were 68 percent less likely to die than those not using it.
Safety and efficacy of teriflunomide in paediatric multiple sclerosis (TERIKIDS): a multicentre, double-blind, phase 3, randomised, placebo-controlled trial.
Chitnis T, Banwell B, Kappos L, Arnold DL, Gücüyener K, Deiva K, Skripchenko N, ... The Lancet. Neurology. 2021 Dec;20(12):1001-1011
Spinal Anesthesia or General Anesthesia for Hip Surgery in Older Adults.
Neuman MD, Feng R, Carson JL, Gaskins LJ, Dillane D, Sessler DI, Sieber F, ... The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Nov 25;385(22):2025-2035 Epub 2021 Oct 9
Over-celling fetal microbial exposure.
Kennedy KM, Bellissimo CJ, Breznik JA, Barrett J, Braun T, Bushman FD, De Goffau M, ... Cell. 2021 Nov 24;184(24):5839-5841
High-throughput and high-dimensional single-cell analysis of antigen-specific CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells.
Ma KY, Schonnesen AA, He C, Xia AY, Sun E, Chen E, Sebastian KR, ... Nature immunology. 2021 Nov 22
COVID-19 vaccines for children.
Gerber JS, Offit PA Science (New York, N.Y.). 2021 Nov 19;374(6570):913 Epub 2021 Nov 18