Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
Penn Medicine hospitals ranked #1 among top hospitals in Pennsylvania by U.S. News & World Reports
Office of Inclusion, Diversity
& Equity anchor programs
- Perelman School of Medicine Partners with HBCUs to Increase Student Diversity in Medicine May 24, 2022 More students will have the opportunity to pursue a future in medicine through an expanded partnership between PSOM and five historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs), in an effort by Penn to increase the number of physicians from groups underrepresented in medicine (URiM).
- Penn Medicine and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Announce Partnership with Costa Rica for CAR T Cell Therapy May 23, 2022 Penn Medicine and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), who together pioneered the research and development of the world’s first personalized cellular therapy for cancer — also known as CAR T cell therapy — have announced plans with Costa Rica’s CCSS, or the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (Social Security Program), to facilitate CAR T research in Costa Rica.
- Penn Medicine Study Reveals Imaging Approach with Potential to Detect Lung Cancer Earlier, at the Cellular Level May 18, 2022 Researchers at the Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania have found a way to identify lung cancer at the cellular level in real time during a biopsy, offering promise in the ability to detect the disease earlier and with more confidence.
- First Mutation-Targeted Bladder Cancer Drug May Be Under-Used May 12, 2022 The first bladder cancer drug targeting a cancer-driving gene mutation has been used relatively little despite its clear efficacy in a clinical trial, suggests a study from researchers at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
- $12 Million Grant Propels Research of Immune Systems of Pregnant Individuals May 12, 2022 To reveal how the immune system may drive health and disease in pregnant people and better understand how to best leverage vaccines to ensure maternal and fetal protection from infectious disease, a team of researchers has been awarded a five-year, over $12 million grant from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases’ Human Immunology Project Consortium (HIPC) for the promotion of multidisciplinary investigations and the advancement of maternal health.
Use arrow keys to view news
Use arrow keys to view events
Case 16-2022: A 55-Year-Old Man with Fevers, Night Sweats, and a Mediastinal Mass.
Fajgenbaum DC, Goiffon RJ, Soumerai JD, Harris CK The New England journal of medicine. 2022 May 26;386(21):2036-2048
Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer in Patients Older Than Age 85 Years Presenting for Mohs Surgery: A Prospective, Multicenter Cohort Study.
Maisel-Campbell A, Lin KA, Ibrahim SA, Kang BY, Anvery N, Dirr MA, Christensen RE, ... JAMA dermatology. 2022 May 25
Glutaminolysis is Essential for Myofibroblast Persistence and In Vivo Targeting Reverses Fibrosis and Cardiac Dysfunction in Heart Failure.
Gibb AA, Murray EK, Huynh AT, Gaspar RB, Ploesch TL, Bedi K, Lombardi AA, ... Circulation. 2022 May 24;145(21):1625-1628 Epub 2022 May 23
Childhood Asthma Disparities-Race, Place, or Not Keeping Pace?
Malleske DT, Bryant-Stephens TC, Montoya-Williams D JAMA pediatrics. 2022 May 23
John Q. Trojanowski, 'tour de force' in neurodegeneration (1946-2022).
Chen-Plotkin AS Nature neuroscience. 2022 May 19
Use arrow keys to view publications