Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
Penn Medicine hospitals ranked #1 among top hospitals in Pennsylvania by U.S. News & World Reports
Office of Inclusion, Diversity
& Equity anchor programs
- Penn Medicine Study Finds Red Blood Cells Play Much Larger Role in Immune System Through Discovery of DNA-Binding Capability October 20, 2021 New research has revealed that red blood cells function as critical immune sensors by binding cell-free DNA, called nucleic acid, present in the body’s circulation during sepsis and COVID-19, and that this DNA-binding capability triggers their removal from circulation, driving inflammation and anemia during severe illness and playing a much larger role in the immune system than previously thought.
- Yelp Star Ratings on Health Care Facilities May Reveal County-Level Death Rate Disparities October 19, 2021 A one-star disparity on health care facility Yelp reviews could indicate a 60-death-peryear difference between some United States counties where those facilities are located, according to researchers at the Penn Medicine Center for Digital Health.
- National Academy of Medicine Welcomes Two New Members from Penn October 18, 2021 Two Penn faculty members, Marylyn D. Ritchie and Sarah A. Tishkoff have been elected members of the National Academy of Medicine (NAM). Election to the NAM is considered one of the highest honors in health and medicine and recognizes people who have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement and commitment to service.
- Penn Study Suggests Genetic Disease CDKL5 Deficiency Disorder Could Be Treatable after Childhood October 15, 2021 A devastating genetic disease called CDKL5 deficiency disorder (CDD), which strikes in early childhood, may be significantly treatable even in adulthood, a new study from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania suggests.
- Penn Medicine and Siemens Healthineers Offer Mobile 3D Mammography Screenings for Underserved Patients During Breast Cancer Awareness Month October 13, 2021 “This mobile mammography initiative is one of many efforts we have committed for engaging underserved communities with access to important healthcare resources and education," said Carmen Guerra, MD.
Multiple sclerosis meets systems immunology - Authors' reply.
Bar-Or A, Li R The Lancet. Neurology. 2021 Nov;20(11):888
Germline Pathogenic Variants in Cancer Predisposition Genes Among Women With Invasive Lobular Carcinoma of the Breast.
Yadav S, Hu C, Nathanson KL, Weitzel JN, Goldgar DE, Kraft P, Gnanaolivu RD, ... Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2021 Oct 21;:JCO2100640
DNA binding to TLR9 expressed by red blood cells promotes innate immune activation and anemia.
Lam LKM, Murphy S, Kokkinaki D, Venosa A, Sherrill-Mix S, Casu C, Rivella S, ... Science translational medicine. 2021 Oct 20;13(616):eabj1008
Risks of Multiple Skin Cancers in Organ Transplant Recipients: A Cohort Study in 2 Administrative Data Sets.
Wehner MR, Niu J, Wheless L, Baker LX, Cohen OG, Margolis DJ, Giordano SH, ... JAMA dermatology. 2021 Oct 20
Amivantamab in EGFR Exon 20 Insertion-Mutated Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Progressing on Platinum Chemotherapy: Initial Results From the CHRYSALIS Phase I Study.
Park K, Haura EB, Leighl NB, Mitchell P, Shu CA, Girard N, Viteri S, ... Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2021 Oct 20;39(30):3391-3402 Epub 2021 Aug 2