The goal of the program is to increase understanding in the principles and practices of biomedical research. The centerpiece of the program is a long-term research project conducted in the laboratory of a skilled faculty mentor. PREP scholars will learn to devise hypotheses, plan experiments, analyze results, and consider the impact of their research on their scientific discipline. The laboratory activities will be supplemented with many activities designed to prepare PREP scholars for graduate school:
- Research seminars, retreats, and conferences, including a focus on biomedical research topics that touch on health-disparities issues
- One formal course per semester
- Training in research success skills, from journal clubs to research seminars
- Sessions in scientific writing, public speaking, career advising, and bioethics
- Standardized test preparation courses (GRE and MCAT)
- Graduate school application assistance, with a focus on the personal essay and interview skills
- Clinical shadowing experiences directed by a research physician mentor for students interested in applying to a Medical Scientist Training Program.
- A variety of social activities with other PREP scholars, undergraduate interns, graduate students, and laboratory associates
PREP scholars also receive a competitive stipend, including health insurance.
Click to download the
PennPREP brochure (PDF)