Our laboratory has two areas of interest – eicosanoid biology and molecular clocks.
In the case of eicosanoids, we are interested in the role they play in modulating the immune response in atherosclerosis and cancer, the promotion and restraint of cardiopulmonary fibrosis, in the response to viral infection and in stem cell biology. We are interested in the many factors that contribute to variability in the response to NSAIDs, including the microbiome, genomics, time of drug administration and metabolomics; the use of dynamic and network-based modelling to study drug response and the use of AI and machine learning approaches to develop paradigms predictive of efficacy and risk.
In the case of clocks, we are interested in how a decline in oscillatory function may contribute to age related phenotypes. We are integrating multiple remote sensing approaches with multi-omics analyses to characterize the human chronobiome and to identify time dependent networks that decline with age. Besides affording insight into the trajectory of aging this may afford the opportunity to obtain, in an unbiased fashion, mechanistic insights into time dependent disease phenotypes, such as non-dipping hypertension.
- Chen L, Yang G, Jiang T, Tang SY, Wang T, Wan Q, Wang M, FitzGerald GA. Myeloid cell mPges-1 deletion attenuates mortality without affecting remodeling after acute myocardial infarction in mice. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2019 Jul;370(1):18-24. doi: 10.1124/jpet.118.256057.
- Theken KN, Hersh EV, Lahens NF, Lee HM, Li X, Granquist EJ, Giannakopoulos HE, Levin LM, Secreto SA, Grant GR, Detre JA, FitzGerald GA, Grosser T, Farrar JT. Variability in the analgesic response to ibuprofen is associated with cyclooxygenase activation in inflammatory pain. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2019 Sep;106(3):632-641. doi: 10.1002/cpt.1446.
- Sarantopoulou D, Tang SY, Ricciotti E, Lahens N, Lekkas D, Schug J, Guo XS, Paschos GK, FitzGerald GA, Pack AI, Grant GR. Comparative evaluation of RNA-Seq library preparation methods for strand-specificity and low input. Sci Rep 2019 Sep 17;9(1):13477. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-49889-1.
- Yang G, Zhang J, Jiang T, Monslow J, Tang SY, Todd L, Pure E, Chen L, FitzGerald GA. Bmal1 deletion in myeloid cells attenuates atherosclerotic lesion development and restrains abdominal aortic aneurysm formation in hyperlipidemic mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2020 Jun;40(6):1523-1532. doi: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.120.314318.
- Sengupta S, Tang SY, Devine JC, Anderson ST, Nayak S, Zhang SL, Valenzuela A, Fisher DG, Grant GR, Lopez CB, FitzGerald GA. Circadian control of lung inflammation in influenza infection. Nat Commun 2019 Sep 11;10(1):4107. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-11400-9.
- Yang G, Chen L, Zhang J, Ren B, FitzGerald GA. Bmal1 deletion in mice facilitates adaptation to disrupted light/dark conditions. JCI Insight 2019 Apr 11;5(10):e125133. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.125133.
- Hennessy EJ, FitzGerald GA. Battle for supremacy: nucleic acid interactions between viruses and cells. J Clin Invest 2021 Feb 1;131(3):e144227. doi: 10.1172/JCI144227.
- Ricciotti E, FitzGerald GA. Aspirin in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Annu Rev Med 2021 Jan 27;72:473-495. doi: 10.1146/annurev-med-051019-102940.
- Theken KN, FitzGerald GA. Bioactive lipids in antiviral immunity. Science 2021 Jan 15;371(6526):237-238. doi: 10.1126/science.abf3192.