The Leadership Essentials Program is a multifaceted leadership skills development program targeted to supervisors and managers who desire to enhance the current effectiveness of their leadership skills, and learn how to positively impact people, performance, and productivity.
The Fundamental level of the program is open to anyone who aspires to enhance their basic leadership knowledge and skills. A nomination is not required and participants may self register in Knowledge Link.
The Intensive level of the program is targeted to faculty, supervisors, or team leads. It requires a nomination by the participant’s immediate leader and full completion of the Fundamental level of Leadership Essentials in addition to the following criteria:
- Currently supervises at least one direct report or is in a full-time project management role leading a project team
- Consistently strong performer in current position.
- In current position for at least six months
- Has received an overall rating of “meets all expectations” or better during the most recent rating period.
- Has NOT received any performance management actions (verbal or written warnings, performance plans) within the past year
- Is committed personally - and has the support of their manager - to attend all scheduled program sessions
In addition to the criteria above, the following characteristics are strongly desired for participants:
- Demonstrated ability to receive and respond to developmental feedback
- Strong desire to learn for the purpose of improving their performance
Leadership Essentials has two levels designed to support leadership growth and development.
Participants are introduced to theoretical information, skills and behaviors that heighten the knowledge and understanding of effective leadership practices. The following Fundamental components are designed to support participants’ learning and development:
- Self-directed, sequential eLearning modules accessed through Knowledge Link
- Classroom Sessions aligned to the eLearning modules
- Assessments and guidance with individual development planning
The Fundamental level of the program includes five 2-hour instructor-led workshops offered on a monthly rotation. Participants will be responsible for their registration through Knowledge Link. These sessions are experiential in nature and give participants an opportunity to further explore the theory, skills and behaviors introduced in the online modules.
- Emotional Intelligence
- Leadership & Influence
- Team Building
Participants may self register in Knowledge Link or by clicking on the links below.
Leadership & Influence
Nominated participants will amplify their awareness and application of the theory, tools, behaviors, and resources necessary to effectively impact the people, performance and productivity within their work teams. The following Intensive components are designed to support participants’ learning and development after the participants have fully completed the Fundamental level:
- Cohort collaboration
- Participation in an online community via Canvas
- Skills practice integration and reflection
- Individual coaching
- Peer-to-peer coaching
- Capstone Simulation*
The Intensive level of the program includes 3 two hour sessions and one full-day Capstone Simulation. These sessions will give participants the opportunity to experience more in depth exploration of real time leadership challenges and problem solving aligned with the following topics:
- Leadership & Influence
- Team Building
- Action Planning
Intensive level program participants will receive three individual coaching sessions to help them integrate and apply the skills and material covered in the classroom sessions. Working individually allows the development process to become customized to each person’s experience level, situation and goals.
These small-group sessions of 5-6 participants are powerful, structured discussions of common management and leadership challenges. In each session, participants will have the opportunity to work on real issues that are important to achieving results. This structured, facilitated interaction also supports the exchange of best practices while continuing to develop skills in self-awareness, effective presentation of ideas, giving and receiving feedback, and problem solving. Each peer coaching session will be two hours.
Intensive level program participants will attend 2 peer coaching sessions.
Assessment and Development Planning
Participants complete a variety of assessment tools, such as the MBTI and Essential Motivation Interaction Styles, which are designed to give them feedback and insight that helps them create a personalized development plan based on their enhanced self-awareness. This plan will provide the critical link between the course content and their specific development goals for their current position.
The Intensive cohort participants will also participate in a 360 degree feedback assessment.
Nominees must have completed the Fundamental level of the program prior to being nominated for the Intensive cohort level.
Each cohort accepts a maximum of 12 participants.
The process and timeline for selecting participants is as follows:
- Now until March 1, 2022: Nominations accepted and program expectations discussion with nominee’s manager (click here to access the form)
- March 1-14, 2022: Nominations reviewed and final participant group selected
- March 14, 2022: Participant acceptance notification
Nomination and Selection
The nomination period for the Spring 2022 cohort 3 is now open! Complete the form to nominate.
The primary difference between the previous Leading Success program and the current Leadership Essentials program is the addition of the Fundamental level that is open to anyone who desires to complete an introductory learning experience that focuses on essentials of effective leadership. The Leadership Essentials Intensive cohort component now includes cohort participation in online activities via Canvas, in depth focus on real time leadership challenges during cohort classroom time, and a capstone and simulation activity.
The content of the Leadership Essentials program differs from the Supervisory Skills Certificate Series (SSC) in that it dives more deeply into theory, discovery and skill development than the SSC. There is not significant overlap between the two programs. The SSC is not a prerequisite for this program. Graduates of the SSC are still eligible to be nominated for this program
We are asking managers to identify outstanding individuals on their staff who have strong potential. The manager must be committed to supporting the participant’s attendance at all scheduled sessions for the duration of the program, as well as participating themselves in the following activities:
- Completing an assessment for the participant as part of 360 degree feedback process for the Intensive participants
- Meeting with the participant periodically during the program to discuss progress on the development plan
- Providing formal post-program feedback to participant through “mini” 360 degree feedback process for the Intensive participants
Contact the Office of Organization Effectiveness at firstname.lastname@example.org 215-573-0682.