Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Guidelines
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of traffic to your website through organic search results.
How Does It Work?
A search engine uses a crawler that gathers information on all the content that can be searched on the web. Then, the search engine builds an index, analyzing the content, images, videos of the page.
Each search engine has its own algorithm that determines the relevance of each page in its index to the search query and organically generates a list of best matched results.
Ways to Improve SEO in MODX
"Meta description tags are important because Google might use them as snippets for your pages in Google Search results." - from Google Search Console Help
Add a page-specific meta description using the Description textarea in the Document tab (see documentation on Description), otherwise, search engines will use text from the main body copy of the page instead.
For older sites, there is an option to set a site description, a global description that applies to all pages within your site under the Extras dropdown in the top menu bar.
Tips for description:
- Accurately summarize the page content
- Use unique descriptions for each page
Set this in the required Title field found within the Document tab on a new or existing page. You can also add a more descriptive title in the Long Title field that will override the Title.
Tips for titles:
- Accurately describe the page's content
- Create unique titles for each page
- Use short and descriptive titles
- For more information:
The resource alias should use simple concise keywords, that is well structured, for search engines to gather information navigation and understand what information the page would contain.
Tips for resource alias:
- Simple and descriptive of page content
- Logically constructed and readable
- Use '-' dash instead of '_' underscore
- No spaces
- Avoid using non-ASCII characters
For more information, read URL structure best practices for Google.
Read the various articles for ways to optimize your site's visibility for search results.
- Optimize your site for search engines (for beginners)
- Eight SEO Best Practices To Increase Organic Site Traffic In 2023
- Website Usability