The Penn Mental Health AIDS Research Center (PMHARC) Developmental Award Program
The PMHARC 2015 Call for Pilot Proposals is open.
The deadline for submission is March 1st, 2015.
About our Pilot Projects Program
The Developmental Core (Core B) of the Penn Mental Health AIDS Research Center (PMHARC) seeks to help build an integrated research infrastructure that can stimulate new research and support investigators as they design and implement innovative biological and behavioral studies on the treatment of mental illness among individuals with HIV/AIDS, in part through the funding of short term (one-year) pilot projects. The particular focus of Core B is on the development of new investigators, transitional investigators and collaborations that have the capacity to develop and test innovative, integrated treatments to optimize psychiatric, behavioral, and medical outcomes and to achieve a better understanding of the biological, psychological, and behavioral mechanisms underlying these combined illnesses and treatments.
Concordant with the mission of the PMHARC, pilot funds will support: 1) new faculty members who are beginning their research careers in mental health and HIV research, 2) investigators with established research programs who are transitioning to HIV and mental health research, and, 3) established AIDS investigators who have not directed their research at issues of psychiatric disorder or the treatment of mental illness.
Current Funded Pilots
- The Impact of Personal Relevance and Depression on Brain and Behavioral Effects of HIV Prevention PSAs in HIV-Positive MSM (Daniel Langleben, MD (Psychiatry), An-Li Wang, D.Phil (Annenberg); 2013)
- Evaluation of the HIV Treatment Cascade for HIV-Infected Persons with Mental Illness (Baligh Yehia, MD, MPP, MSHP (Medicine/ID), Kathleen Brady, MD (Philadelphia Department of Public Health), Benoit Dube, MD (Psychiatry), Karen Glanz, PhD, MPH (Epideniology and Nursing), Robert Gross, MD, MSCE (Medicine/ID and Epidemiology); 2013)
- Mid-Life Cognitive Function in HIV+ Individuals: Impact of Endocrine and Immune Status (C. Neill Epperson, MD (Psychiatry), Liisa Hantsoo, PhD (Psychiatry); 2013)
- Immune and Neuroimaging Biomarker Correlations between Depression and HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Disorders in HIV-Infected Youth (Jennifer McGuire, MD (Neurology, CHOP), Brenda Banwell, MD (Neurology, CHOP), Tami Benton, MD (Psychiatry, CHOP), Linda Hawkins, PhD, LPC (Pediatrics, CHOP); 2013)
- Predictors of HIV-Associated Psychiatric Distress and Neurocognitive Decline in a Multi-Ethnic Pediatric Sample (Iman Martin, PHD, MPH, M.Sc. (Psychiatry), Ruben Gur, PhD (Psychiatry), Raquel Gur, MD, PhD (Psychiatry); 2013)
- Treatment of Insomnia with Zaleplon in HIV Positive Patients with Comorbid Depression (Matthew Kayser, MD, PhD (Psychiatry), Michael Thase, MD (Psychiatry); 2013)