- Publications and Completed Projects
Publications and Completed Projects
If you cannot access the AEREO publications below and are unable to request access through your institution, please email Holly Fernandez Lynch to receive a PDF.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Nicholls S, Meyer MN, Taylor HA (on behalf of the Consortium to Advance Effective Research Ethics Oversight). Of parachutes and participant protection: Moving beyond quality to advance effective research ethics oversight. J Emp Res Hum Res Ethics. 2019;14(3):190-96.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Abdirisak M, Bogia M, Clapp J. Evaluating the quality of research ethics review and oversight: A systematic analysis of quality assessment instruments. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2020;11(4):208-222.
- Hurley EA, Taylor HA, Kornetsky S, Singleton MK. AEREO member approaches to the common rule's key information requirement. 2020; online resource.
- Taylor HA, Serpico S, Fernandez Lynch H, Baumann J, Anderson EE. A Snapshot of U.S. IRB Review of COVID-19 Research in the Early Pandemic. J Clin & Trans Sci. 2021;5(1):e205.
- Seykora A, Coleman C, Rosenfeld SJ, Bierer BE, Fernandez Lynch H. Steps toward a system of IRB precedent: Piloting approaches to summarizing IRB decisions for future use. Ethics & Human Research. 2021;43(6):2-18.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Eriksen W, Clapp JT. “We measure what we can measure”: Struggles in defining and evaluating institutional review board quality. Social Science & Medicine. 2022;292:114614.
- Serpico K, Rahimzadeh V, Anderson EE, Gelinas L, Fernandez Lynch H. Institutional review board use of outside experts: What do we know? Ethics & Human Research. 2022;44:26-32.
- Serpico K, Rahimzadeh V, Gelinas L, Hartsmith L, Fernandez Lynch H, Anderson EE. Institutional review board use of outside experts: A national survey. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2022;13(4):251-262.
- Gelinas L, Strauss DH, Chen Y, Ahmed HR, Kirby A, Friesen P, Bierer BE. Protecting the Vulnerable and Including the Under-Represented: IRB Practices and Attitudes. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics. 2022, online first.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Taylor HA. How do accredited organizations evaluate the quality and effectiveness of their human research protection programs? AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2023; 14(1):23-37.
- Anderson E, Hurley EA, Serpico K, Johnson A, Rowe J, Singleton M, Bierer BE, Cholka B, Chaudhari S, & Fernandez Lynch H. Engaging key stakeholders to overcome barriers to studying the quality of research ethics oversight. Research Ethics. 2023;19(1):62-77.
- Nicholls SG, Taylor HA, James R, Anderson EE, Friesen P, Schonfeld T, Summers EI. A cross sectional survey of recruitment practices, supports, and perceived roles for unaffiliated and non-scientist members of IRBs. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2023, online first.
Additional publications of interest
These publications have not been developed under the auspices of AEREO but include AEREO members and have relevance to our work.
- Fernandez Lynch HF, Rosenfeld SR. Institutional Review Board Quality, Private Equity, and Promoting Ethical Human Subjects Research. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2000;173(7):558-562.
- Churchill S, Largent EA, Taggert E, Fernandez Lynch HF. Diversity in IRB Membership: Views of IRB Chairpersons at US Universities and Academic Medical Centers. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2002;13(4):237-250.
- Friesen P, Gelinas L, Kirby A, Strauss DH, Bierer BE. IRBs and the protection-inclusion dilemma: Finding a balance. American Journal of Bioethics. 2022, online first.
- Rahimzadeh V, Serpico K, Gelinas L. Institutional review boards need new skills to review data sharing and management plans. Nature Medicine. 2023, online first.