Publications and Completed Projects
If you cannot access the AEREO publications below and are unable to request access through your institution, please email Holly Fernandez Lynch to receive a PDF.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Hurley EA, Taylor HA. Responding to the Call to Meaningfully Assess Institutional Review Board Effectiveness. JAMA. June 23, 2023, online first.
- Nicholls SG, Taylor HA, James R, Anderson EE, Friesen P, Schonfeld T, Summers EI. A cross sectional survey of recruitment practices, supports, and perceived roles for unaffiliated and non-scientist members of IRBs. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2023, online first.
- Anderson E, Hurley EA, Serpico K, Johnson A, Rowe J, Singleton M, Bierer BE, Cholka B, Chaudhari S, & Fernandez Lynch H. Engaging key stakeholders to overcome barriers to studying the quality of research ethics oversight. Research Ethics. 2023;19(1):62-77.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Taylor HA. How do accredited organizations evaluate the quality and effectiveness of their human research protection programs? AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2023; 14(1):23-37.
- Gelinas L, Strauss DH, Chen Y, Ahmed HR, Kirby A, Friesen P, Bierer BE. Protecting the Vulnerable and Including the Under-Represented: IRB Practices and Attitudes. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics. 2022, online first.
- Serpico K, Rahimzadeh V, Gelinas L, Hartsmith L, Fernandez Lynch H, Anderson EE. Institutional review board use of outside experts: A national survey. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2022;13(4):251-262.
- Serpico K, Rahimzadeh V, Anderson EE, Gelinas L, Fernandez Lynch H. Institutional review board use of outside experts: What do we know? Ethics & Human Research. 2022;44:26-32.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Eriksen W, Clapp JT. “We measure what we can measure”: Struggles in defining and evaluating institutional review board quality. Social Science & Medicine. 2022;292:114614.
- Seykora A, Coleman C, Rosenfeld SJ, Bierer BE, Fernandez Lynch H. Steps toward a system of IRB precedent: Piloting approaches to summarizing IRB decisions for future use. Ethics & Human Research. 2021;43(6):2-18.
- Taylor HA, Serpico S, Fernandez Lynch H, Baumann J, Anderson EE. A Snapshot of U.S. IRB Review of COVID-19 Research in the Early Pandemic. J Clin & Trans Sci. 2021;5(1):e205.
- Hurley EA, Taylor HA, Kornetsky S, Singleton MK. AEREO member approaches to the common rule's key information requirement. 2020; online resource.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Abdirisak M, Bogia M, Clapp J. Evaluating the quality of research ethics review and oversight: A systematic analysis of quality assessment instruments. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2020;11(4):208-222.
- Fernandez Lynch H, Nicholls S, Meyer MN, Taylor HA (on behalf of the Consortium to Advance Effective Research Ethics Oversight). Of parachutes and participant protection: Moving beyond quality to advance effective research ethics oversight. J Emp Res Hum Res Ethics. 2019;14(3):190-96.
Additional publications of interest
These publications have not been developed under the auspices of AEREO but include AEREO members and have relevance to our work.
- Fernandez Lynch HF, Rosenfeld SR. Institutional Review Board Quality, Private Equity, and Promoting Ethical Human Subjects Research. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2000;173(7):558-562.
- Churchill S, Largent EA, Taggert E, Fernandez Lynch HF. Diversity in IRB Membership: Views of IRB Chairpersons at US Universities and Academic Medical Centers. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2002;13(4):237-250.
- Friesen P, Gelinas L, Kirby A, Strauss DH, Bierer BE. IRBs and the protection-inclusion dilemma: Finding a balance. American Journal of Bioethics. 2022, online first.
- Rahimzadeh V, Serpico K, Gelinas L. Institutional review boards need new skills to review data sharing and management plans. Nature Medicine. 2023, online first.