Specimen Processing and Banking
- Sample Submission / Transfer Request Quick Links
- Services and Pricing
- Request A Consultation / Initiate A Project
- Submit and Deliver Samples
- Sample Transfer Requests
- Sample Cut-Off Times
- Shipping Address
Sample Submission / Transfer Request Quick Links
Services and Pricing
The HIC offers a range of support services for clinical studies and translational research. HIC staff are internally and externally qualified in dozens of SOPs for the services shown here. We work with Principal Investigators, clinical study coordinators and other faculty and staff investigators to develop workflows that ensure sample integrity and meet your research objectives.
Depending on your needs, we can assist with any of the following and more:
- Processing blood, biopsies and cadaver tissue/organ samples, biological fluids (serum, plasma, saliva, tears, etc.)
- Tube type(s) for blood draws, based on desired products
- Approximate number and timing of sample deliveries for processing in the HIC; sample runners
- Cyropreservation for optimal cell viability/function and biomarker integrity
- On-site sample storage
- Sample shipping
- Study design, SOP review or updates, pilot projects
- Letters of support, budgeting, or other information for grant proposals
Prices for blood processing depend on blood volume and products desired. Prices for blood, tissue/organ processing, and sample storage (per month) are shown on the full price list, under Accounts, Billing, and Fees section, along with a downloadable pdf of prices (PennKey login required). Request a consultation if you would like a quotation.
Request A Consultation / Initiate A Project
STEP 1: Request a consultation and/or quotation by contacting Dr. Honghong Sun. Neither a PennKey nor a HIC account is required to schedule a consultation. Please be prepared with
- the overall goal/question and projected timeline of your clinical study or experiment
- the service(s) you would like (sample processing, shipping, etc.) - Dr Sun can assist with options
- specimen type(s) and approximate number
- desired products (plasma, cells, etc.)
Bring any questions or thoughts you may have on experimental design, customizing workflows for downstream applications, SOPs, etc.
STEP 2: Once you determine to do a project with the HIC, Path BioResource (PBR) staff will work with you to set up your study or project. Contact PBRHELPDESK@pennmedicine.upenn.edu, CC Dr. Honghong Sun. Download a copy of HIC Accounts & Billing Workflows, or visit our Accounts, Billing, and Fees section for instructions on how to set up or update HIC accounts.
STEP 3: Submit samples online and ship or drop off physical samples to SCL 412.
Submit and Deliver Samples
STEP 1: Submit an online request. Click here if your project will be billed through PBR (PennKey login required). Select your project and enter your specimens/samples. Click here if your project will be billed through iLab (login required). Select your project and enter your specimens/samples.
STEP 2: Drop off samples at Stellar-Chance Labs (SCL) room 412, or ship them to this address. Samples received outside of our posted cut-off times require approval at least 24 hours in advance of receipt and additional charges will apply.
Contact Dr. Honghong Sun with any questions. The HIC shipping address is Attn: Yangzhu Du, University of Pennsylvania, Stellar Chance Labs Rm. 412, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Telephone: +1 215-573-5367. Email: Yangzhu.Du@pennmedicine.upenn.edu
Sample Transfer Requests
To submit a sample transfer request form, click here (PennKey login required) and select Request Shipping/Training.
Choose your HIC project from Select Study (study names have the format XXp-XXX for example, 22p-019). Click on “Start Request”, choose the account to be billed, and fill in the form.
Sample Cut-Off Times
Drop off samples at Stellar-Chance Labs (SCL) room 412. Samples received outside of our posted cut-off times require approval at least 24 hours in advance of receipt and additional charges will apply as detailed here:
- Same-day processing cut off time: 1:00 pm Monday-Friday. In order to schedule lab staff, samples that must be processed on the same day that are received after our cut-off time of 1:00 pm must be pre-approved by Dr. Honghong Sun. Such samples will incur an after-hours processing fee.
- Next-day processing cut off time: 5:00 pm Monday-Thursday. Samples received after 1:00pm, but by or before 5:00 pm, will be processed on the next business day.
- Samples received on Friday between 1-5 pm: We offer next-day (Saturday) processing of samples received on Friday between 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm, if pre-approved by Dr. Honghong Sun. Such samples will incur an after-hours processing fee.
The HIC shipping address is
Attn: Yangzhu Du
University of Pennsylvania
Stellar Chance Labs Rm. 412
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Telephone: +1 215-573-5367