Resources for Parents
October 18, 2013 (9-5pm): Helping your child with anxiety, OCD, Tourette Syndrome or Trichotillomania
The Child and Adolescent OCD, Tic, Trich and Anxiety Group (The COTTAGe) in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania is pleased to announce our full-day Parent Workshop.
Dr. Martin Franklin, world-renowned expert in the treatment of pediatric OCD, OC Spectrum Disorders, and Anxiety, along with faculty and staff from The COTTAGe will provide information and strategies for parents of youth suffering from pediatric anxiety, OCD, Trichotillomania, and/or Tic Disorders. The content of our workshop is based on research and over 20 years of clinical experience with this population.
Parents will learn:
To describe symptoms of anxiety, OCD, trich, and tics in kids, including common presentations of these symptoms at home and school.
To describe the differences between normal manifestations of stress and anxiety vs. clinical diagnoses, in order to support their child and appropriately seek treatment, if needed.
The principles of Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment (CBT) for childhood Anxiety Disorders and OCD, and Habit Reversal Training (HRT) for Impulse Control Disorders including Trichotillomania and Tic Disorders.
Evidence-based strategies to help your child cope with symptoms and/or benefit from treatment of Anxiety, OCD, Trichotillomania or Tics.
Attendees: 25 person limit
Time: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (8:30 am for check-in and continental breakfast)
Cost: $250 for 1 parent/guardian or $300 for 2 parents/guardians. Fee covers cost of workshop, handouts and supporting materials, and refreshments during breaks.
Registration: Please complete the Registration form and follow instructions for payment. Call 215-746-1230 and ask for Catherine Coogan to reserve a spot.
- Pay by credit card: Please fax the completed Registration form to: 215-746-3311 and call Catherine Coogan at 215-746-1230 with a VISA/Mastercard.
- Pay by check or money order: Please send the completed Registration form and a check or money order payable to “CPUP” to:
University of Pennsylvania,
ATTN: Dr. Antinoro, COTTAGe
3535 Market Street, Suite 600
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Location: This workshop will take place at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA in the 3535 Market Street building on the 6th floor, in Room #640.
For more information about this series or to register: 215-746-1230
- T. Chansky. Freeing Your Child From Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
- J. March and K. Mulle. OCD in Children and Adolescents.
- T. Chansky. Freeing Your Child From Anxiety.
- R. Rapee, S. Spence, V. Cobham, & A. Wignall. Helping Your Anxious Child.
- J. Dacey & L. Fiore. Your Anxious Child: How Parents and Teachers Can Relieve Anxiety in Children.
Books for Children
- A. Wagner. Up and Down the Worry Hill.
- Hesser. Kissing Doorknobs.
- Dutro & Boyle. Night Light: A Story for Children Afraid of the Dark.
- Schaefer & Friedman. Cat’s Got Your Tongue? A Story for Children Afraid to Speak.
- Kant, J. D., with Martin E. Franklin & Linda Wasmer Andrews (2008). The thought that counts: A firsthand account of one teenager’s experience with obsessive-compulsive disorder.
To make an appointment, or inquire further about our services, please call: 215-746-1230.