Thomas A. Wadden, PhD, Director Emeritus
Albert J. Stunkard Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry
Director Emeritus, Center for Weight and Eating Disorders
Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
Thomas A.Wadden, Ph.D. is the Albert J. Stunkard Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and Director Emeritus of the Center for Weight and Eating Disorders. He received his A.B. in 1975 from Brown University and his doctorate in clinical psychology in 1981 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dr. Wadden's principal research is on the treatment of obesity by methods that have included lifestyle modification, very-low-calorie diets, exercise, medication, and surgery. He has also investigated the metabolic and psychosocial consequences of obesity and weight loss. He has published over 350 scientific papers and book chapters and has co-edited four books, the most recent of which is Obesity and Associated Eating Disorders: A Guide for Mental Health Professionals (with Albert J. Stunkard, Terence Wilson, and Robert I. Berkowitz). His research has been supported for more than 30 years by grants from the National Institutes of Health.
Dr. Wadden has served on expert panels for the National Institutes of Health, the Federal Trade Commission, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Institute of Medicine. He served as President of the Obesity Society in 2006 and from 2008-2012 was an associate editor of Obesity, the journal published by the Obesity Society.
Dr. Wadden may be contacted at the University of Pennsylvania, 3535 Market Street, Suite 3029, Philadelphia, PA 19104. His e-mail address is: Wadden@mail.med.upenn.edu.
Recent publications include:
- Wadden TA, Volger S, Sarwer DB, et al. A two-year randomized trial of obesity treatment in primary care practice. N Eng J Med. 2011;365:1969-79.
- Wadden TA, Webb VL, Moran CH, Bailer BA. Lifestyle modification for obesity: new developments in diet, physical activity, and behavior therapy. Circulation. 2012;125:1157-70.
- Tsai AG, Wadden TA. In the clinic: obesity. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:ITC3-1-ITC3-15.
- Wadden TA, Hollander P, Klein S, et al. Weight maintenance and additional weight loss with liraglutide after low-calorie-diet-induced weight loss: the SCALE Maintenance randomized study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013;37:1443-51.
- Wadden TA, Butryn ML, Hong PS, Tsai AG. Behavioral treatment of obesity in patients encountered in primary care settings: a systematic review. JAMA. 2014;312:1779-91.
Back to Top