- Anti-Racism Efforts at Penn Medicine
- Vice Chairs for Diversity and Inclusion
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Abike James, MD, MPH
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Vice Chair for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Abike James, MD, MPH is an Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology and Vice Chair for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. James co-founded the departments Health Equity Working Group (HEWG) in 2019 and has supported departmental health equity initiatives since that time. As the departments inaugural Vice Chair of DE&I, her priorities have expanded to ensuring that the principles of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are infused into the departments core missions of clinical care, education and research as well as recruitment and retention efforts throughout the department.
- Ensure faculty compliance with CPUP Unconscious Bias Training mandate.
- Apply equity lens to new departmental policies.
- Collaborate with departments HEWG to host departmental antiracist book club three times this year and bi-annual grand rounds to address racism in health care.
- Support reporting of Disparity Index at Quality Forum.
- Work to meet Penn Medicine’s FY’21 Team Goal of “reduction in major maternal morbidity/mortality in Black women.”
- Support initiatives to address inequities in LGBTQ+ health in the department.
- Enhance recruitment and retention efforts through the newly formed departmental mentorship committee and in partnership with the departments Diversity Search Advisor(DSA).
- Address COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy amongst Black and Brown staff and community members.
- Conduct town-halls with each Division with the goals of eliciting input from providers/staff on ways to improve the DE&I Climate, and develop divisional health equity metrics.
At the conclusion of FY’21, Dr. James will develop a 3-5-year DE&I strategic plan for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology that builds upon the aforementioned activities and aligns with the Office of Inclusion and Diversities(OID) 6 Pillars: Clinical, Research, Education, Community, Culture, and People.