Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How should I prepare for the downtime during the move?
A: There are a few things you can do to ensure that the move goes smoothly.
- Save/Close any files open on a system being moved before the move starts.
- Copy any files you absolutely cannot be without over the weekend. (excluding PHI)
- Logoff of your computer when leaving on 6/29.
- Report any issues you have accessing the moved systems promptly by putting in a KACE ticket or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Why are PSOM servers moving to a new location?
A: PSOM servers currently reside in a data center on campus that is shutting down later in the year. PSOM Servers will be moving to a new data center in Brownstown, PA that is currently occupied by another Penn Medicine entity, Lancaster General Health.
Q: When is the data center move?
- Start: Friday, June 29th 2018, 5PM
- Finish: Monday, July 1st 2018, 8AM
- Start: Friday, September 7th 2018, 5PM
- Finish: Monday, September 10th 2018, 8AM
Q: Will University systems like PennERA, HSERA, Payroll, and Ben Financials be available during the move?
Yes, these systems run by Information Systems & Computer (ISC) will not be moving and will be available.
Q: How do I find out if my data will be affected by the move?
A: Please refer to the list of systems effected on the homepage. If you do not see your server listed please contact your LSP or email@example.com.
Q: Will I lose any of my data during the Data Center move?
A: No, all the data being moved is backed up prior to the move.
Q: I need to access my data during the move weekend, how can I access the data?
A: You will not have access to the server where your data presides during the move, however If the data you need to access is not ePHI you may copy it to a local computer to work on. If the data is ePHI you will have to work on the data before the move and may not copy it to a local computer.
Q: I cannot get to my shared drive after the move. Who do I contact?
A: Please put in a ticket in KACE. An LSP will contact you to help you with your share.
Have a question not answered here? Please submit a ticket to the helpdesk, contact your LSP or Medhelp@pennmedicine.upenn.edu.