Experience medicine outside your comfort zone
WE SEEK TO FULFILL SEVERAL LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- Classic Medical Didactics: Variety of topics pertaining to Wilderness Medicine. Examples include lectures on snake bites, hypothermia, and altitude sickness.
- Survival Skills: If you can't build a proper shelter when your gear is down river or build a fire when it's raining, you may be so naive to austere environments that you become a liability rather than an asset. That's not what you want.
- Improvisation: It wouldn't be a Wilderness Medicine course if you didn't learn how to improvise something out of sticks.
- Disaster Management: In this Post 9/11 world, physicians can expect to be called upon when disaster strikes at home or abroad. Whether an act of terror or an act of nature, this course is a chance to practice while the stakes and risks are low
- Leadership: This is the skill that pulls it all together.
Enrollment for 2018 is now complete.
Enrollment for 2019 will begin again in the fall of 2018.
Former WADME Student Saves Hiker
July 23, 2016
At 12,000 feet, the view from Mount Whitney, Calif., was not what recent Perelman School of Medicine graduate Kevin Gardner, MD, had expected...
February 26, 2018
Get ready for wilderness and disaster medicine education at the Perelman School of Medicine!