Welcome to CAROT!
Welcome to the Center for Advanced Retinal & Ocular Therapeutics (CAROT) at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. Our mission is to advance the development of novel biologic and small molecule therapeutics for retinal and ocular diseases through a balanced commitment to basic research, translational development, and clinician/patient communities. With an exceptional foundation in clinically relevant ocular research, CAROT is a premiere center for translating novel bench research, such as gene and cell therapies, into the clinic and market. Our center strives to foster nascent projects through various stages of discovery and clinical development. In doing so, we aim to establish an efficient and effective translational infrastructure and supportive environment for both academic and commercial communities.
CAROT is pleased to announce that two of its members have been selected, along with 11 other scientists and clinicians, to receive the Sanford and Sue Greenberg Prize to End Blindness (see attached press release and click below for invitation to the event. The announcement is featured in this month's issue of National Geographic. The Award will be bestowed in a virtual ceremony on December 14, 2020 that will include a tribute to the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg and guest appearances by a number of celebrities. Read more...
Two members of CAROT, Jean Bennett and Albert Maguire, are delighted to represent our team as recipients of the Greenberg Prize to End Blindness. We are excited to use these funds at CAROT to move forward to bring on the cures!The Awards Ceremony can be viewed at: www.endblindness2020.com
CAROT members are happy to resume laboratory work (cautiously, with reduced numbers of personnel on site and with social distancing) after the covid-19 lockdown that was initiated in March 2020. Stay healthy!
CAROT is also pleased to announce the recruitment of. Dr. Katherine Uyhazi, who will be seeing patients at PCAM and establishing her own laboratory in the Stellar-Chance Labs.
Our Center has occasional openings for highly motivated scientists with relevant experience in neuroscience, genetics, molecular biology, imaging, regulatory affairs, and related fields. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about research opportunities in our Center. CAROT is pleased to announce the expansion of its retinal degeneration clinical services at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine.
CAROT is pleased to announce the expansion of its retinal degeneration clinical services at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine.
- CAROT is delighted to welcome Dr. Erin O'Neil to the clinical team and congratulates her on being the recipient of the prestigious Diana Davis Spencer Clinical Research Fellowship grant from the Foundation Fighting Blindness.
- Congratulations to Dr. Uyhazi (and other co-authors at CAROT) for her recent paper on Treatment Potential for LCA5-Associated Leber Congenital Amaurosis and Treatment Potential for LCA5-Associated Leber Congenital Amaurosis - PubMed
- Congratulations to Theresa Mowad and other members of the Ashtari lab on their recent paper on Compensatory Cross-Modal Plasticity after Sight Resoration
- Congratulations to Dr. Vidyullatha Vasireddy and Mr. Tyler Pappon their new jobs. We are grateful for everything they did at CAROT and wish them well.
- LCA Family Conference in Philadelphia
July 26-28, 2019
Members of CAROT will be there. Come join us! By working collectively, we can make faster progress. Please register at: https://www.facebook.com/sofiaseeshope/
- Dog Who Contributed to Cure for Blindness
July 16 2019
- Choroideremia Research Foundation International Symposium in Philadelphia
June 6-7, 2019
- 2018 Champalimaud Award Lecture at the annual meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
April 30, 2019
Lectures by Jean Bennett and Robin Ali on behalf of all of the awardees (including Albert Maguire, James Bainbridge, T. Michael Redmond, Samuel Jacobson and William Hauswirth); Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada