Hansel J. Otero, MD
- Director of International Pediatric Radiology Education and Outreach | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Ethiopia | Botswana | Malawi | Argentina | Peru
- International Medical Education | Pediatric Radiology
Languages: Spanish (native), English (fluent), Portuguese (proficient)
Currently, I serve as the director of global education of outreach for the radiology department at CHOP and the Outreach lead of the World Federation of Pediatric Imaging and coordinate additional educational projects and teleradiology services for partners throughout the world. As a pediatric radiologist, I have also participated in educational pediatric radiology projects in Haiti, Ghana and Ethiopia among others. In the past, I practiced medicine in Venezuela and later as an emergency response physician with Doctors without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in Liberia, Sudan, Angola, Pakistan and Yemen from 2002 to 2009.
Recent global health projects
Through the department of radiology at CHOP, we support a pediatric radiology fellowship and pediatric radiology training as well as research support to residents at Black Lion Hospital in Addis Ababa. I continue to provide teleradiology services for Doctors without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and the World Federation of Pediatric imaging, consulting in over 600 cases in the last 3 years
1. Referral Activity in Three Store-and-Forward Networks during the COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic.
Wootton R, Otero H, Moretti M.
Int J Telemed Appl. 2021 May 3;2021:6644648. doi: 10.1155/2021/6644648. eCollection 2021.
PMID: 34093705 Free PMC article.
2. Can lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic help define a strategy for global pediatric radiology education?
Nicholas JL, Bass EL, Otero HJ.
Pediatr Radiol. 2020 Nov;50(12):1641-1644. doi: 10.1007/s00247-020-04822-x. Epub 2020 Sep 5.
PMID: 32889584 Free PMC article. No abstract is available.
3. Providing Expert Pediatric Teleradiology Services Around the Globe: The World Federation of Pediatric Imaging Experience.
Otero HJ, Andronikou S, Grassi DC, Silva CT.
J Am Coll Radiol. 2020 Jan;17(1 Pt A):53-55. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2019.06.006. Epub 2019 Jul 3.
PMID: 31278921 No abstract available.
4. Pediatric Radiology Education in a Metropolitan Radiology Residency in West Africa: The Accra Experience.
Otero HJ, Appiah BA, Mensah Y.
J Am Coll Radiol. 2016 Aug;13(8):985-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2016.04.010. Epub 2016 May 28.
PMID: 27245993 No abstract available.
Otero HJ, Appiah BA, Mensah Y (2016). Pediatric Radiology Education in a Metropolitan Radiology Residency in West Africa: The Accra Experience. J Am Coll Radiol. 2016 Aug;13(8):985-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2016.04.010.
Jalloul M, Derbew HM, Miranda-Schaeubinger M, De Leon Benedetti L, Mekete Y, Jr Carbajal JA, Doherty M, Noor A, Dako F, Otero HJ. Case competition sessions: a global education and academic engagement tool. Pediatr Radiol. 2023 Aug 3. doi: 10.1007/s00247-023-05723-5. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37535093.
Last Updated: 24 August 2023