Kassa Darge, MD, PhD,DTMP, FSAR, FESUR
- Radiologist-in-Chief | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Brazil | Ethiopia | South Africa
- Pediatric Radiology
Languages: English (fluent), German (fluent), Amharic (fluent), French (semi-fluent)
I have been involved in global health for over 25 years. I started as a research fellow of the World Health Organization in Germany and West Africa doing work in filarial disease. During this period I was able to earn my Diploma in Tropical Medicine & Parasitology (DTM&P). In addition, I went on to do fellowship in Tropical Pediatrics and participate in global health work around pediatric malnutrition and tuberculosis. When I completed my radiology residency, my focus turned to global outreach education in pediatric radiology and also established a departmental pediatric radiology fellowship in Ethiopia.
Since 1991, I have been involved in various international outreach activities. Initially, my focus was on tropical pediatrics, but later on I switched work to pediatric radiology education. In 2008, I established the collaboration between the Departments of Radiology at CHOP and Addis Ababa University with the objective of supporting the radiology residency program in pediatric imaging education and conducting a pediatric radiology fellowship. In February 2017 the first 2 pediatric radiologists graduated from this 2-year fellowship program – the first ones in a country with a 100 million population with almost 60% in the pediatric age group.
Recent global health projects
1. Establishment of the COVID CENTRAL information repository on the website of the Ethiopian Medical Association
2. Curation of a website on pediatric radiology outreach activities in Ethiopia together with the Pediatric Radiology Division of the Department of Radiology of the Addis Ababa University.
- .Pediatric Radiology Fellowship Creation as an International Education Outreach Effort in Ethiopia. Zember J, Reid J, Gorfu Y, Solomon DZ, Darge K. J Grad Med Educ. 2020 Feb;12(1):98-103. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-19-00291.1.
- Wakjira E, Sisay S, Zember J, Zewdneh D, Gorfu Y, Kebede T, Tadesse A, Darge K. Implementing ultrasound-guided hydrostatic reduction of intussusception in a low-resource country in Sub-Saharan Africa: our initial experience in Ethiopia. Emerg Radiol. 2018 Feb;25(1):1-6. doi: 10.1007/s10140-017-1546-y. Epub 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28840373.
- Wakjira E, Sisay S, Zember J, Zewdneh D, Gorfu Y, Kebede T, Tadesse A, Darge K (2017). Implementing ultrasound-guided hydrostatic reduction of intussusception in a low-resource country in Sub-Saharan Africa: our initial experience in Ethiopia. Emerg Radiol. 2017 Aug 24. doi: 10.1007/s10140-017-1546-y
- Back SJ, Darge K, Bedoya MA, Delgado J, Gorfu Y, Zewdneh D, Reid JR (2016). Ultrasound Tutorials in Under 10 Minutes: Experience and Results. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016 Sep; 207(3):653-60. doi: 10.2214/AJR.16.16402.
- Dehaye A, Silva CT, Darge K, Prabhu SP, Andronikou S, Laya BF, Coley BD, Boechat MI.Saving the starfish: World Federation of Pediatric Imaging (WFPI) development, work to date, and membership feedback on international outreach. Pediatr Radiol. 2016 Apr;46(4):452-61.
Last Updated: 28 February 2022