Mental Health Mobile Apps
Mobile applications (apps) can provide self-help, education, and support following trauma. Treatment companion apps can be used with a health care provider to make treatment easier.
*Click on any mobile app below for more information.
- PTSD Coach
- CPT Coach
- PE Coach
- CBT-i Coach
- Virtual Hope Box
- Thought Diary
- Mood Tools
- Focused Breathing
- This mobile app is to help you learn about and cope with the symptoms related to PTSD that commonly occur following trauma.
- PTSD Coach was designed for veterans and military service members who have, or may have PTSD.
- This app provides users with education about PTSD, information about professional care, a self-assessment for PTSD, opportunities to find support, and tools that can help users manage the stresses of daily life with PTSD.
- Tools range from relaxation skills and positive self-talk to anger management and other common self-help strategies. Users can customize tools based on their preferences and can integrate their own contacts, photos, and music.
- This app can be used by people who are in treatment as well as those who are not.
- Free PTSD Coach download from: iTunes (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
- CPT Coach is for veterans, service members, and others with PTSD who are participating in Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) with a professional mental healthcare provider.
- This app contains support materials for a complete course of CPT to help patients manage their treatment, including between session assignments, readings, PTSD symptom monitoring, and mobile versions of CPT worksheets.
- CPT Coach is not intended to be used as self-help without the guidance of a professional mental healthcare provider.
- Free CPT Coach download from: iTunes (iOS).
- PE Coach is designed to be used during psychotherapy provided by a behavioral health professional who is trained in Prolonged Exposure (PE) therapy. By itself, this smartphone app is not sufficient to treat posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PE Coach is not a self-help tool. However, military veterans, service members, and others with symptoms of PTSD who are receiving PE treatment can work together with their therapist to use the tools in this app during PE therapy to process the traumatic experience and reduce anxiety and fear.
- The app will guide you through the exercises assigned by your therapist and allows you to track and record your progress in treatment. In addition, the app provides you with techniques such as controlled breathing that will help you tolerate and decrease your distress. PE Coach will help you remember and track your upcoming therapy sessions.
- Free PE Coach download from: iTunes (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
- This mobile app will help you get the most out of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia so that you can develop good sleep habits and sleep better.
- CBT-i Coach is for people who are engaged in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia with a health provider, or who have experienced symptoms of insomnia and would like to improve their sleep habits.
- The app will guide users through the process of learning about sleep, developing positive sleep routines, and improving their sleep environments. It provides a structured program that teaches strategies proven to improve sleep and help alleviate symptoms of insomnia.
- CBT-i Coach is best used while in therapy with a provider.
- Free CBT-i Coach download from: iTunes (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
Virtual Hope Box:
- The Virtual Hope Box (VHB) is a mobile application designed for use by patients and their behavioral health providers as an accessory to treatment.
- The VHB contains simple tools to help patients with coping, relaxation, distraction, and positive thinking.
- Patients and providers can work together to personalize the VHB content on the patient's own smartphone according to the patient's specific needs. The patient can then use the VHB away from clinic, continuing to add or change content as needed.
- Free Virtual Hope Box download from: iTunes (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
- Thought Diary is designed to be the first step in changing our thoughts by helping individuals identify the trigger situations for their negative thoughts and the emotional and behavioural consequences of experiencing these negative thoughts. It was designed by an experienced clinical psychologist and CBT therapist who believed that these tools should be available in the most accessible form for individuals to use in today’s fast technological world.
- It can be used by people either in therapy as a useful adjunct to the treatment, and there is a feature that allows the Thought Diary to be emailed straight to their therapist. However, it can also be used by those individuals who are embarking on a self-guided course of CBT.
- Free Thought Diary download from: iTunes (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
- MoodTools is designed to help you combat depression and alleviate your negative moods, aiding you on your road to recovery.
- MoodTools contains several different research-supported tools, which include thought diaries, activities, safety plans, tests, information, and videos.
- Free MoodTools download from: iTunes (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
Focused Breathing Apps:
- iBreathe: A simple yet powerful app to help guide you through deep breathing exercises. Whether you are struggling with stress, anxiety, insomnia, or are trying to meditate and relax, iBreathe provides an easy-to-use, beautifully designed user interface. Unlike other apps, iBreathe is designed with simplicity in mind and does not contain any bloat or clutter. Download for free on iTunes (iOS)
- Breathe: An app designed to help you ‘watch your breath’. For centuries, deep breathing has been an integral part of meditation practices. It has more recently been adopted by everyone from world class athletes to the U.S. army. Studies have shown that with regular practice meditation can reduce anxiety, stress, and depression. Cognitive benefits include improved focus, memory and decision making. Breathe is offered free on Google Play (Android), with no ads and no hidden features.
Back to Top