The application for Fall 2021 is now closed. The application deadline was December 1, 2020. Applicants from this cycle will be accepted on a rolling basis between late January and April 15. All notifications will be available from BGS by April 15.
The Neuroscience Graduate Group (NGG) is the University of Pennsylvania’s interdisciplinary PhD program in neuroscience. The NGG is part of Biomedical Graduate Studies (BGS), an umbrella organization administered through the Perelman School of Medicine that includes the NGG and other biomedical-related graduate groups. All NGG students receive fellowships that cover tuition and fees, as well as a stipend. The stipend is $34,000 for the 2020-2021 academic year.
The NGG is committed to its mission of selecting and training top students from a diversity of educational and personal backgrounds. Because of the interdisciplinary nature of neuroscience, our admissions committee is not looking for a particular set of skills or educational path. Instead, we value highly motivated and talented students who have demonstrated an ability to thrive in a cutting-edge, research- oriented field. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, particularly from members of ethnic, cultural, educational, and socioeconomic groups that are traditionally underrepresented in neuroscience.
- TOEFL or IELTS (required only for applicants for whom English is not a native language
- GPA (the average GPA of admitted applicants from the last three years is 3.71)
- A statement of purpose (personal statement) discussing your academic and career objectives
- A research statement describing your research experience
- BGS does not require or accept GRE scores.
- International and domestic applications are due December 1, 2020.
- Applicants residing in the United States who are selected for interviews will be invited to attend one of two interview sessions to be held in January and February. We will arrange and cover the cost of travel, hotel, and meals during your stay. International applicants who are selected for an interview but who are not currently residing in the United States will be interviewed by Skype around the same time.
- Students who are invited for an interview will be notified of an Admissions decision generally within two weeks of the interview date
For additional information or questions about the application process, please contact the NGG Graduate Coordinator.