Certificate Options for PhD Students
Students enrolled in BGS doctoral programs have the option of applying to any of a variety of certificate programs, either at the time of initial application to the PhD program or later. These programs provide a valuable opportunity to pursue specialized scientific and professional interests.
Several of the programs are closely affiliated with BGS, for example, they receive various forms of support from BGS and provide courses and other forms of programming commensurate with BGS standards and objectives.
- Graduate Training in Medical Science (GTMS) Certificate
- Public Health Certificate
- Environmental Health Sciences
- Community-Engaged STEM
Other programs are not as closely linked to BGS but are of potential benefit nonetheless.
- Certificate in Biomedical Informatics
- Certificate in Language and Communication Sciences
- Certificate in Public Health and Cognitive Aging
- Certificate in Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience
- Certificate of Study in Law
- Certificate Program in Regulatory, Translational, or Entrepreneurial Science
Penn's Center for Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Innovation offers the CETLI Teaching Certificate for students with a strong interest in teaching. The Penn Center for Innovation offers the PCI Fellows Program for students with an interest in technology transfer. These programs involve extensive hands-on experience, require a minimum commitment of one year, and provide additional funds.
Students interested in a certificate program should review Policies Governing Participation of BGS Students in Certificate Programs.
Authorization is required through the form Authorization to Participate in a Certificate Program.