Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence
October 6, 2015
I take great pride in announcing this year's recipients of the Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence. The distinguished awardees exemplify our profession's highest values of scholarship and teaching, innovation, commitment to service, leadership, and dedication to patient care. They epitomize the preeminence and impact we all strive to achieve. The awardees range from those at the beginning of their highly promising careers to those whose distinguished work has spanned decades. The 2015 award recipients are:
- Stanley N. Cohen Biomedical Research Award to Erika L.F. Holzbaur, PhD, of the Department of Physiology;
- William Osler Patient Oriented Research Award to Susan M. Domchek, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Samuel Martin Health Evaluation Sciences Research Award to Andrea B. Troxel, ScD, of the Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology;
- Michael S. Brown New Investigator Research Award to Andy J. Minn, MD, PhD, of the Department of Radiation Oncology;
- Marjorie A. Bowman New Investigator Research Award to Mark D. Neuman, MD, of the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care;
- The Lady Barbara Colyton Prize for Autoimmune Research to Edward M. Behrens, MD, of the Department of Pediatrics at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Louis Duhring Outstanding Clinical Specialist Award to Alain H. Rook, MD, of the Department of Dermatology;
- Sylvan Eisman Outstanding Primary Care Physician Award to Jeffrey T. Tokazewski, MD, of the Clinical Care Associates of the University of Pennsylvania Health System;
- Luigi Mastroianni, Jr. Clinical Innovator Award to Maxim Itkin, MD, of the Department of Radiology;
- Alfred Stengel Health System Champion Award to Craig A. Umscheid, MD, MSCE, of the Department of Medicine.
- Arthur K. Asbury Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award to Stephanie B. Abbuhl, MD, FACEP, of the Department of Emergency Medicine.
- The Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching to James D. Lewis, MD, MSCE, of the Department of Medicine; and Paul A. Offit, MD, of the Department of Pediatrics;
- Leonard Berwick Memorial Teaching Award to Roy H. Hamilton, MD, MS of the Department of Neurology;
- Robert Dunning Dripps Memorial Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education to William D. James, MD, of the Department of Dermatology;
- Jane M. Glick Graduate Student Teaching Award to Joshua I. Gold, PhD of the Department of Neuroscience.
Each recipient was chosen by a committee of distinguished faculty from the Perelman School of Medicine or the University. The contributions of these clinicians and scientists exemplify the outstanding quality of patient care, mentoring, research, and teaching of our world-class faculty.
I am extremely proud to honor these faculty for their achievements. Please join me in extending our sincere congratulations.
With best regards,
J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD