Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence: 2016 Recipients
October 5, 2016
I take great pride in announcing this year's recipients of the Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence. The distinguished awardees exemplify our profession's highest values of scholarship and teaching, innovation, commitment to service, leadership, and dedication to patient care. They epitomize the preeminence and impact we all strive to achieve. The awardees range from those at the beginning of their highly promising careers to those whose distinguished work has spanned decades. The 2016 award recipients are:
- Stanley N. Cohen Biomedical Research Award to Shelley L. Berger, PhD, of the Department of Cell and Developmental Biology.
- William Osler Patient Oriented Research Award to Peter J. Snyder, MD, of the Department of Medicine.
- Samuel Martin Health Evaluation Sciences Research Award to Scott D. Halpern, MD, PhD, MBE, of the Department of Medicine.
- Michael S. Brown New Investigator Research Award to Elizabeth A. Grice, PhD, of the Department of Dermatology.
- Marjorie A. Bowman New Investigator Research Award to Jeffrey S. Gerber, MD, PhD, MSCE, of the Department of Pediatrics.
- The Lady Barbara Colyton Prize for Autoimmune Research to Brenda L. Banwell, MD, of the Department of Neurology, at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Louis Duhring Outstanding Clinical Specialist Award to Joseph M. Serletti, MD, of the Department of Surgery.
- Sylvan Eisman Outstanding Primary Care Physician Award to Laura M. Kosseim, MD, of the Department of Medicine.
- Luigi Mastroianni, Jr. Clinical Innovator Award to David J. Callans, MD, of the Department of Medicine.
- Alfred Stengel Health System Champion Award to Scott O. Trerotola, MD, of the Department of Radiology.
- Arthur K. Asbury Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award to John H. Glick, MD, of the Department of Medicine.
- The Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching to Lee A. Fleisher, MD, of the Department of Department of Anesthesiology & Critical Care; and Ellen J. Kim, MD, of the Department of Dermatology.
- Leonard Berwick Memorial Teaching Award to Christopher D. Watt, MD, PhD, of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.
- Robert Dunning Dripps Memorial Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education to James M. Callahan, MD, of the Department of Pediatrics.
- Jane M. Glick Graduate Student Teaching Award to Erika L.F. Holzbaur, PhD, of the Department of Physiology.
- Provost’s Award for Teaching Excellence by Non-Standing Faculty to James R. Treat, MD, of the Department of Pediatrics.
Each recipient was chosen by a committee of distinguished faculty from the Perelman School of Medicine or the University. The contributions of these clinicians and scientists exemplify the outstanding quality of patient care, mentoring, research, and teaching of our world-class faculty.
I am extremely proud to honor these faculty for their achievements. Please join me in extending our sincere congratulations.
With best regards,
J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD