Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence 2017
September 15, 2017
I take great pleasure and pride in announcing this year's recipients of the Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence. The distinguished awardees exemplify our profession's highest values of scholarship, teaching, innovation, commitment to service, leadership, and dedication to patient care. They epitomize the preeminence and impact we all strive to achieve. The awardees range from those at the beginning of their highly promising careers to those whose distinguished work has spanned decades. The 2017 award recipients are:
- Stanley N. Cohen Biomedical Research Award to Kenneth S. Zaret, PhD, of the Department of Cell and Developmental Biology;
- William Osler Patient Oriented Research Award to Katherine L. Nathanson, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Samuel Martin Health Evaluation Sciences Research Award to Jalpa A. Doshi, PhD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Michael S. Brown New Investigator Research Award to Benjamin Franklin Voight, PhD, of the Department of Pharmacology;
- Marjorie A. Bowman New Investigator Research Award to Rinad S. Beidas, PhD, of the Department of Psychiatry;
- The Lady Barbara Colyton Prize for Autoimmune Research to Aimee S. Payne, MD, PhD, of the Department of Dermatology.
- Louis Duhring Outstanding Clinical Specialist Award to Scott E. Kasner, MD, MSCE, of the Department of Neurology;
- Sylvan Eisman Outstanding Primary Care Physician Award to Gillian Ladd Lautenbach, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Luigi Mastroianni, Jr., Clinical Innovator Award to Sunil Singhal, MD, of the Department of Surgery;
- Alfred Stengel Health System Champion Award to John D. McGreevey, III, MD, of the Department of Medicine.
- Arthur K. Asbury Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award to Jason D. Christie, MD, MSCE, of the Department of Medicine.
- The Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching to Jennifer R. Kogan, MD, of the Department of Medicine; and Frank E. Silvestry, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Leonard Berwick Memorial Teaching Award to David L. Jaffe, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Robert Dunning Dripps Memorial Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education to Kathleen T. Montone, MD, of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine;
- Jane M. Glick Graduate Student Teaching Award to Julie A. Blendy, PhD, of the Department of Pharmacology.
Each recipient was chosen by a committee of distinguished faculty from the Perelman School of Medicine or the University. The contributions of these clinicians and scientists exemplify the outstanding quality of patient care, mentoring, research, and teaching of our world-class faculty.
I am extremely proud to honor these faculty for their achievements. Please join me in extending our sincere congratulations.
With best regards,
J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD