2018 Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence
September 12, 2018
I take great pride in announcing this year's recipients of the Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence. The distinguished awardees exemplify our profession's highest values of scholarship, teaching, innovation, commitment to service, leadership, and dedication to patient care. They epitomize the preeminence and impact we all strive to achieve. The awardees range from those at the beginning of their highly promising careers to those whose distinguished work has spanned decades. The 2018 award recipients are:
- Stanley N. Cohen Biomedical Research Award to Roger A. Greenberg, MD, PhD, of the Department of Cancer Biology;
- William Osler Patient Oriented Research Award to Stephan A. Grupp, MD, PhD, of the Department of Pediatrics; Bruce L. Levine, PhD, of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine; and David L. Porter, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Samuel Martin Health Evaluation Sciences Research Award to David S. Mandell, ScD of the Department of Psychiatry;
- Michael S. Brown New Investigator Research Award to Sunny Shin, PhD, of the Department of Microbiology;
- Marjorie A. Bowman New Investigator Research Award to Alexis Ogdie-Beatty, MD, MSCE of the Department of Medicine;
- The Lady Barbara Colyton Prize for Autoimmune Research to Amit Bar-Or, MD, FRCPC, ABPN, FAAN, FANA, of the Department of Neurology;
- Louis Duhring Outstanding Clinical Specialist Award to Gregory G. Ginsberg, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Sylvan Eisman Outstanding Primary Care Physician Award to Ann L. Steiner, MD, of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology;
- Luigi Mastroianni, Jr. Clinical Innovator Award to Shreya Kangovi, MD, MSHP, of the Department of Medicine;
- Alfred Stengel Health System Champion Award to Ron Keren, MD, MPH, of the Department of Pediatrics.
- Arthur K. Asbury Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award to Judy A. Shea, PhD of the Department of Medicine.
- Michael P. Nusbaum Graduate Student Mentoring Award to Amita Sehgal, PhD of the Department of Neuroscience.
- The Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching to Robert W. Doms, MD, PhD, of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine; and Misha A. Rosenbach, MD, of the Department of Dermatology;
- Leonard Berwick Memorial Teaching Award to Ebbing Lautenbach, MD, MPH, MSCE, of the Department of Medicine;
- Robert Dunning Dripps Memorial Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education to Claudia F. Baldassano, MD of the Department of Psychiatry; and James M. Schuster, MD, PhD, of the Department of Neurosurgery;
- Jane M. Glick Graduate Student Teaching Award to Toshinori Hoshi, PhD, of the Department of Physiology; and E. James Petersson, PhD, of the Department of Chemistry.
Each recipient was chosen by a committee of distinguished faculty from the Perelman School of Medicine or the University of Pennsylvania. The contributions of these clinicians and scientists exemplify the outstanding quality of patient care, mentoring, research, and teaching of our world-class faculty.
I am extremely proud to honor these faculty for their achievements. Please join me in extending our sincere congratulations.
With best regards,
J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD