Announcing 2019 Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence
September 20, 2019
I take great pride in announcing this year's recipients of the Penn Medicine Awards of Excellence. The distinguished awardees exemplify our profession's highest values of scholarship, teaching, innovation, commitment to service, leadership, professionalism and dedication to patient care. They epitomize the preeminence and impact we all strive to achieve. The awardees range from those at the beginning of their highly promising careers to those whose distinguished work has spanned decades. The 2019 award recipients are:
- Stanley N. Cohen Biomedical Research Award to Sara Cherry, PhD, of the Department of Microbiology;
- William Osler Patient Oriented Research Award to Yvette I. Sheline, MD, of the Department of Psychiatry;
- Samuel Martin Health Evaluation Sciences Research Award to Rebecca A. Hubbard, PhD, of the Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics;
- Michael S. Brown New Investigator Research Award to Jorge Henao-Mejia, MD, PhD, of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine;
- Marjorie A. Bowman New Investigator Research Award to Allison Willis, MD, MSCI, of the Department of Neurology;
- The Lady Barbara Colyton Prize for Autoimmune Research to Joel M. Gelfand, MD, MSCE, of the Department of Dermatology.
- Louis Duhring Outstanding Clinical Specialist Award to Stephen J. Schuster, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Sylvan Eisman Outstanding Primary Care Physician Award to John M. Bruza, MD, of the Department of Medicine;
- Luigi Mastroianni, Jr. Clinical Innovator Award to Daniel J. Licht, MD, of the Department of Neurology;
- Alfred Stengel Health System Champion Award to Sindhu K. Srinivas, MD, MSCE, of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Duncan Van Dusen Professionalism Award for Faculty to Kristy L. Weber, MD, of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
- Arthur K. Asbury Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award to Scott D. Halpern, MD, PhD, M. Bioethics, of the Department of Medicine.
- Michael P. Nusbaum Graduate Student Mentoring Award to Terri M. Laufer, MD, of the Department of Medicine; and Nandita Mitra, PhD, of the Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics.
- The Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching to Stephen J. Gluckman, MD, of the Department of Medicine; and Daniel S. Kessler, PhD, of the Department of Cell and Developmental Biology;
- Leonard Berwick Memorial Teaching Award to Edward M. Behrens, MD, of the Department of Pediatrics;
- Robert Dunning Dripps Memorial Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education to Jon B. Morris, MD, of the Department of Surgery; and Lisa B. Zaoutis, MD, of the Department of Pediatrics;
- Provost’s Award for Teaching Excellence by Non-Standing Faculty to Jeanine C. Ronan, MD, MS, MSEd, of the Department of Pediatrics;
- Jane M. Glick Graduate Student Teaching Award to Greg J. Bashaw, PhD, of the Department of Neuroscience.
Each recipient was chosen by a committee of distinguished faculty from the Perelman School of Medicine or the University of Pennsylvania. The contributions of these clinicians and scientists exemplify the outstanding quality of patient care, mentoring, research, and teaching of our world-class faculty.
I am extremely proud to honor these faculty for their achievements. Please join me in extending our sincere congratulations.
With best regards,
J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD