Congratulations to the Class of 2020 on Their Success in the Match
March 20, 2020
To:Faculty, Students, and Staff
From:J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD
Suzi Rose, MD, MSEd
The Class of 2020 celebrated their accomplishments on Match Day today at noon using a virtual process. They retrieved their match result from a protected website and celebrated at home, connecting to one another through social media. We join our students in the joyous reflection of great achievements during their time at the Perelman School of Medicine.
We congratulate the Class of 2020 on their success in the Match and share the results of their hard work with our academic community.
- The class overall has a 98% match rate, compared to the national rate of 94%
- National statistics about the Match may be found here: http://www.nrmp.org/main-residency-match-data/
- 99% matched at an academic university program (ranged from 91-98% in the past 5years)
- 30% of the class matched to a Penn program
- 35% matched to a primary care specialty (includes Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics)
Once again, impressive statistics speak to the fact that we have a class of very talented students who are poised to become leaders in medicine and disseminate their knowledge across the country.
We are also pleased to note that our residency programs matched top candidates from schools from around the country.
The match results are a testament to the outstanding caliber of our faculty. Year after year faculty commit to making our medical education programs among the best in the country, highly sought after by outstanding students and trainees alike.