Congratulations to the Class of 2021 on their Success in the Match!
March 19, 2021
To:PSOM Faculty, Students, and Staff
From:J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD
Suzi Rose, MD, MSEd
The Class of 2021 celebrated their accomplishments on Match Day today at noon using a virtual platform with a small group of students choosing to celebrate together in JMEC, physically distanced and safely. We celebrated each student with a video montage and with greetings virtually. After a live countdown directly from JMEC, students retrieved their match results from a protected website and celebrated, connecting to one another through social media.
We congratulate our students on their success and join them in joyous reflection of their great achievements during their time at the Perelman School of Medicine as they look forward to their promising futures.
We are proud to share the results of their hard work with our academic community:
- The class overall has a 97% match rate, compared to the national rate of 93%
- National statistics about the Match may be found here: http://www.nrmp.org/main-residency-match-data/
- 99% matched at an academic university program (ranged from 93-99% in the past 5 years)
- 32% of the class matched to a Penn program
- 41% matched to a primary care specialty (includes Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics)
These impressive statistics speak once again to the fact that we have a class of very talented students who are poised to become leaders in medicine and disseminate their knowledge across the country.
We are also pleased to note that our residency programs matched top candidates from schools from around the country.
The match results are a testament to the outstanding caliber of our faculty. Year after year faculty commit to making our medical education programs among the best in the country, highly sought after by outstanding students and trainees alike.