Botswana Clinical Elective
The application for the 2022-23 Botswana Clinical Elective is CLOSED.
In coordination with the Botswana-UPenn Partnership (BUP), the Center for Global Health coordinates the Botswana Clinical Elective, an enriching experience providing exposure to multiple levels of healthcare in a low-resource setting. The 7-week general medicine elective allows students to experience:
- Understanding the importance of context when working in different settings
- Diagnosis and management skills in a resource-limited area, including end-of-life care
- Impact of culture on patient presentation, doctor-patient and team relationships, and the provision of medical care
- Exchange of knowledge with other students, health professionals, and trainees
- Spend time with dynamic, smart, resourceful University of Botswana and Penn faculty committed to working in resource-limited settings
The schedule for the 2022-23 clinical rotations is as follows:
- August 1 - September 16, 2022
- September 12 - October 21, 2022
- October 17 - November 25, 2022
- January 9 - February 17, 2023
- March 27 - May 5, 2023
Applications will be reviewed by CGH and students will be interviewed. The CGH Office will reach out to students to schedule interviews.
Students selected to participate in a Botswana Clinical Elective will be required to:
- Attend ITD357: Sim Procedures/Reducing Risk, Low Resource Setting, a 4-hour simulations course held at Penn Medicine at Rittenhouse
- Attend ITD359: Pre-Departure Training, a 3-hour course offered 4 times across the year, the schedule aligns with the ITD357 course.
- Both classes are mandatory. Failure to attend these trainings will cancel your elective.
- Complete the CGH Registration
- CGH will review Part I and send the student Part II
- Both parts are required for recording of experience and for qualifying for CGH funding.
- Complete 10 supervised phlebotomies- instructions for setting up appointment are on the Phlebotomy Practice Form. Email this form to Maria Cortese Hering when complete.