How to Apply
Centralized Application Submission
Please submit your application materials to the National Clinician Scholars Program Online Application. You will be asked to indicate which NCSP site(s) you are applying to, and the appropriate materials will then be sent by the NCSP central office to each program site. Each site will then review the candidates who applied to their program, and invite a subgroup of them for interviews.
Eligibility and Selection Requirements
To be eligible for the National Clinician Scholars program, physicians and nurses must:
- Be committed to a career in serving as change agents to improve health whether it is academic medicine, public health, health policy or another career congruent with the program's purposes and priorities of developing physician and nurse leaders and skilled researchers;
- Be highly regarded by those responsible for their clinical training;
- Complete the clinical requirements allowing for independent clinical work by the date of entry into the program (except for surgeons); and
- Be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its territories at the time of application.
Both MDs and PhDs in Nursing are eligible to apply. 100% effort devoted to program activities is a program requirement. The National Clinician Scholars Program Directors and a designated national program committee will make all acceptance decisions.
This program embraces diversity and inclusion across multiple dimensions, such as race, ethnicity, gender, age and disadvantaged socioeconomic status. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who will help us expand the perspectives and experiences we bring to our work. We believe that the more we include diverse perspectives and experiences in our work, the better able we are to help all Americans live healthier lives and get the care they need. We encourage applications from diverse clinical backgrounds.
Desirable attributes of applicants include:
- Demonstrated interest in improving health or the health care system;
- Exhibited leadership capabilities, including setting high personal goals and motivating others;
- Demonstrated ability to develop new ideas and to implement them;
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with others;
- Record of consistent accomplishment of project activities;
- Previous research experience, published or unpublished; and
- Interest in, and/or experience with, community organizations.
Key Dates for Cohort 2021-2023 Application CycleInformation has not yet been posted. If you have immediate questions regarding deadlines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Up to 20 Clinician Scholars will be selected. Participating institutions and their partners fund positions. Scholar stipends are comparable to other postdoctoral fellowships. Financial support is available at each university for expenses associated with scholars' tuition, research, and travel.
Nurses and physicians who meet the eligibility requirements may apply on line through the national program application website: Online Application
If there are any questions, please contact us at email@example.com. You may also call site program administrators for site-specific questions (www.nationalcsp.org). Program Directors at each site will notify applicants who will be called in for interviews. We encourage applicants to consider more than one site in their application because of the limited positions available. After interviews are completed, applicants will rank the universities to which they applied and will have the opportunity to submit a revised personal statement. Program Directors and the designated national program committee review all applicants and feedback from interviews and make final admission decisions. We will notify candidates of the decision about their application in November 2020. Appointments begin July 1, 2021. The Program does not provide individual critiques of applications submitted.