Internal Medicine/ Pediatrics Residency Program Director Job Description
The Center for Global Health at the Perelman School of Medicine seeks candidates for two open positions: Program Directors (PD) of the Graduate Medical Education Residency Program in Internal Medicine and in Pediatrics at VinUniversity - Vietnam. The positions are based full-time in Hanoi, Vietnam.
The primary responsibility of the PD is to oversee the on-site academic and clinical functions of the respective residency program. The residency programs received their first classes in October 2020 and are a fundamental component of VinUniversity, which is supported by partnership with Penn and the Vinmec Health System. The PD will report to the Director of Global Health at Penn and the Dean of the College of Health Sciences at VinUniversity. The PD will also interface with senior leaders in internal medicine, pediatrics, and global health at Penn and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Responsibilities include curriculum development, student recruitment and admissions, staff leadership development and mentoring, clinical preceptor training and oversight, performance management, program site development in Vietnam, and clinical service roles at the Vinmec Times City Hospital.
Applicants must hold the M.D or M.D./Ph.D. degree with a current license to practice medicine in the US. Residency training at a US-based medical institution in internal medicine or pediatrics, and board certification in the same is required for each respective position. The employment contract resides within the Center for Global Health at the Perelman School of Medicine with full university benefits. Candidates will be eligible for associated faculty positions at the University of Pennsylvania and at VinUniversity depending on qualifications.
The specific job responsibilities of the PD include:
- Work closely with the Penn and VinUniversity College of Health Sciences (VU-CHS) educational leaders (Dean and Standing Associate Dean), as well as the Vinmec leaderboard on all aspects of the development and implementation of the residency program.
- Lead responsibility for the development and implementation of the curriculum for the Internal Medicine or Pediatrics Residency program at VU-CHS/ Vinmec hospital.
- Provide leadership on course development, curriculum development and implementation, course quality assurance and improvement, and professional accreditation for Residency education programs at VinUni.
- Leadership at course levels for implementation of teaching and learning priorities such as competency based education, student centered learning, clinical teacher appraisal and articulation to post graduate’s program.
- Promote the development of active teaching and learning practices in the delivery of the course ensuring integration of graduate attributes and competency standards across the course.
- Recruit and coach medical educators and the clinical instructor team to successfully develop the Residency program.
- Maintain leadership and mentorship capability in advising Vinmec team members within area of expertise including teaching of Vinmec junior team members, and later on VinUni students in professional (health sciences discipline) and graduate programs.
- Lead in implementing the application process for the residency program including PR-Marketing activities to attract applicants, applicant reviews, interviews and admission selection.
- Manage and oversee budgets for strategic funds allocated to the residency program development and conduct.
- Prepare the residency program for ACGME I foundational accreditation requirements.
- Coordinate with the CSH and Vinmec in interfacing with the Vietnam Ministry of Health (MOH)/Ministry of Education and Teaching (MOET) on all review and accreditation standards.
- Coordinate with the CSH and Vinmec to develop relationships with local medical institutions in Hanoi for residency training.
- Serve on different sciences/technology/educational and professional committees of VinUni/Vinmec as assigned.
We seek candidates who embrace and reflect diversity in the broadest sense. The University of Pennsylvania is an EOE. Minorities/women/individuals with disabilities/protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information / if interested in the position please send CV and cover letter to: