Undergraduate students in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania with a desire for a career in medical physics may apply for submatriculation status in the Master of Science in Medical Physics (MSMP) degree program at the Perelman School of Medicine (PSOM). Applicants must have a physics minor or its equivalent to be considered for submatriculation.
During the submatriculation period, students can take up to four course units (CUs) that can count towards both their undergraduate degree and MSMP program.
All courses considered for submatriculation must be approved by both the undergraduate advisor and the Medical Physics Graduate Programs (MPGP) Director and must be 500-level or higher. Once the submatriculants complete their undergraduate requirements, they will become MSMP students for the remainder of their graduate coursework. The MSMP degree is 15 CUs and typically takes two years to complete after completion of the undergraduate degree.
Students typically initiate the application process during the fall semester of their junior year. Eligible coursework completed prior to the official submatriculation may count toward the MSMP program with approval from the MPGP.
Application Deadline: November 1st of senior year. Seniors in their last semester are not eligible for submatriculation.
Process to apply for submatriculation into the Master of Science in Medical Physics program:
1. Meet with your undergraduate major advisor to discuss the feasibility of adding the MSMP to existing requirements to complete your undergraduate degree.
2. Contact the MPGP team at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an initial advising meeting.
3. Complete the submatriculation application (College of Arts & Sciences website at http://www.college.upenn.edu/submatriculation ) and schedule a meeting with the College Advising Office.
4. Submit the online application for admission.
The application must contain all of the following in order to be considered complete (click here for admission process and description of application requirements):
- Completed application form
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Completed submatriculation application (manually submitted to email@example.com )
The application fee will be waived. Applicants should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a fee waiver code before submitting the application.
Questions about submatriculation may be directed to Andrea Radine, Administrative Director, at email@example.com or 215.662.3617.