Facilities Planning & Space Management
Facilities Planning & Space Management handles capital project planning, space needs assessments and floor plan layouts, preliminary project scope development, furniture consulting, construction project management, space inventory, off-campus space management, major equipment installation, and sustainability.
For specific responsibilities and contacts, please click on the categories below. For a complete list of all Facilities Planning & Space Management personnel, visit the SPO Staff Contacts page.
Sr. Associate Director, Facilities Planning
Daniel Klein, RA, LEED AP BD+C | 215-898-2876
Initiating a capital project at the Perelman School of Medicine (PSOM) involves the following steps:
- Your department, center, institute, or administrative office will request a project through the Space/Service Request system.
- Facilities Planning & Space Management will arrange for a preliminary estimate of the project, approve the request if appropriate, and forward it to the PSOM Division of Finance.
- The PSOM Division of Finance will verify funding, approve the request if appropriate, and forward it to the dean.
- If the dean approves the capital project request, the digital request system will communicate final approval to the Division of Finance, Facilities Planning & Space Management, and the requester.
- Facilities Planning & Space Management will initiate the next phase of project design and development.
For capital equipment pre-purchase and installation consulting, please contact Chris Nicolais.
All space in the Perelman School of Medicine has been surveyed, and the information (including building, floor, room number, principal investigator, use, etc.) resides in a database connected to a CAD system managed by Facilities Planning & Space Management.
The database keeps track of the amount of space used by each department for grant and funding applications, research space utilization analysis, and indirect cost recovery. This information is equally critical for planning purposes as departments’ needs change over time.
Business administrators are responsible for reporting any changes in their department’s space (including use, location, and principal investigator allocations) via the web updater tool. Web updater access is managed by the University Office of Facilities & Real Estate Services. Initial approval is granted by the PSOM space super user.
Floor plans of buildings with PSOM space can be accessed through the Office of Decision Support & Analysis, under Space@Penn, using your Penn ID.
Associate Director for Interiors
Danielle Cavalcanto | 215-898-2876
- Office and academic space planning
- Interior-finish standards
- Furniture selection, reconfiguration and procurement
SPO handles furniture requests from:
- Penn-approved vendors
- PSOM inventory for reuse
To initiate a project, please fill out and submit the furniture initiation request form.
Most PSOM buildings use standard furniture finishes and design layouts. SPO reviews request to deviate from the standard on a case-by-case basis.
Orders are placed after final sign-off on the drawing and proposal have been sent to and submitted by occupants. It takes about one-to-two (1 -2) weeks for ship dates. All orders are final once placed. If adding to a request, a second proposal must be created and submitted.
Turnaround is based on the number of requests and type of furniture. New furniture takes approximately three (3) months from request date to completion. Reconfiguration of existing furnishings takes approximately four (4 ) weeks from authorization to proceed. A hybrid approach can range in time depending on amount of reused vs. new product.