Penn Med is one of the premier academic medical centers in the country. The school has over 1300 faculty members, 500 of whom engage in laboratory research. Penn currently ranks number 2 in NIH research funding and number 1 in NIH research training funding. Beyond the School of Medicine, Penn has enormous research strengths in the schools of Engineering and Applied Science, the Wharton School, and the school of Arts and Sciences.
Collaboration and free interchange of ideas is a tradition at Penn and is encouraged by multidisciplinary programs, institutes, centers and graduate programs that cross administrative boundaries. All of the Schools of the University are located on a single campus, further facilitating interdisciplinary study.
Research space at the School of Medicine occupies more than 1.44M net square feet, approximately 70% of which is new or has been renovated since 1989. Several of the newest research towers form part of a quadrangle that includes the research facilities of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), which are not counted in this total. Additional new research facilities are located in the Translational Research Laboratory (TRL, 120,000 sq. ft., opened 2005), the Hill Pavilion, a 100,000 sq. ft. education and research building shared with the School of Veterinary Medicine (opened 2006), the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine (opened in 2008), the Colket Center (opened by CHOP in 2010), and the Translational Research Center, which was built on top of the new proton therapy facility adjacent to the Perelman Center (opened in 2011).
Penn faculty come with a variety of educational backgrounds and disciplines, but one of the hallmarks of the Penn Medical Center is the large number of physician-investigators with MD and MD-PhD training. These men and women do the whole range of research: basic, disease-oriented, patient-oriented and translational. All of them help to create an environment that is especially friendly for the training of future physician-investigators.