Graduate Student in Bioengineering
University of Pennsylvania
B.S. Biomedical Engineering, 2015, Virginia Commonwealth University
Areas of Interest
Injury Biomechanics, Orthopaedics, Wound Healing
- Newton JB, Fryhofer GW, Rodriguez AB, Kuntz AF, Soslowsky LJ. "Mechanical properties of the different rotator cuff tendons in the rat are similarly and adversely affected by age." J Biomech. 2021 Mar 5
- Cheema AN, Newton JB, Boorman-Padgett JF, Weiss SN, Nuss CA, Gittings DJ, Farber DC, Soslowsky LJ. "Nicotine Impairs Intra‐Substance Tendon Healing After Full Thickness Injury in a Rat Model." J Orthop Res. 2018 Oct.
- Freedman BR, Rodriguez AB, Leiphart RJ, Newton JB, Ban E, Sarver JJ, Mauck RL, Shenoy VB, Soslowsky LJ. Dynamic Loading and Tendon Healing Affect Multiscale Tendon Properties and ECM Stress Transmission. Sci Rep. 2018 June.
Conference Abstracts and Presentations
- Newton JB, Fryhofer GW, Shetye SS, Rodriguez AB, Kuntz AF, Soslowsky LJ. Aging Related Degenerative Mechanical Changes Manifest Earlier in Supraspinatus Tendons. Trans Orthop Res Soc, New Orleans, LA, 2018 (poster presention).
- Freedman BR, Ban E, Rodriguez AB, Newton JB, Leiphart R, Shenoy VB, Soslowsky LJ. Predicting Multiscale Strain Transfer and ECM Stress Transmission during Healing and Dynamic Loading in Tendon. Trans Orthop Res Soc, New Orleans, LA, 2018 (poster presention).
Joey joined the McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory in the fall of 2016 and is currently working toward completion of his graduate studies in the Department of Bioengineering. When not working Joey enjoys spending his time hiking, camping, and kayaking during the summer months, and exploring all of the exciting events Philadelphia has to offer in the off seasons.