Graduate Student in Bioengineering
University of Pennsylvania
B.S. Biomedical Engineering, 2016, University of Virginia
Areas of Interest
Mechanotransduction and the role of lower abundance matrix proteins in tendon homeostasis, healing, and aging.
- Leiphart R, Shetye S, Weiss S, Dyment N, Soslowsky LJ. "Induced Knockdown of Decorin, Alone and in Tandem with Biglycan Knockdown, Directly Increases Aged Tendon Viscoelasticity." J Biomech Eng. 2020 Aug 7.
- Leiphart RJ, Chen D, Peredo AP, Loneker AE, Janmey PA. Mechanosensing at cellular interfaces. Langmuir. 2018.
- Freedman BR, Rodriguez AB, Leiphart RJ, Newton JB, Ban E, Sarver JJ, Mauck RL, Shenoy VB, Soslowsky LJ. Dynamic Loading and Tendon Healing Affect Multiscale Tendon Properties and ECM Stress Transmission. Sci Rep. 2018 June.
- Heuslein JL, Murrell KP, Leiphart RJ, Meisner JK, Llewellyn RA, Bouton AH, Price RJ. Vascular growth responses to chronic arterial occlusion are unaffected by myeloid specific focal adhesion kinase (FAK) deletion. PLoS ONe. May, 2016.
- Heuslein JL, Meisner JK, Li X, Song J, Vincentelli H, Leiphart RJ, Ames EG, Blackman BR, Price RJ. Mechanisms of amplified arteriogenesis in collateral artery segments exposed to reversed flow direction. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. September, 2015.
Conference Abstracts and Presentations
- Leiphart RJ, Taylor BL, Weiss SN, Dyment NA, Soslowsky LJ. Collagen V knockdown during phases of tendon healing differentially impacts gene expression [PowerPoint]. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting (Virtual), 2021.
- Leiphart RJ, Taylor BL, Weiss SN, Dyment NA, Soslowsky LJ. Collagen V knockdown in mature murine tendons causes sex-dependent expression changes [PowerPoint]. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting (Virtual), 2021.
- Leiphart RJ, Weiss SN, Birk DE, Soslowsky LJ. Acute reduction in collagen V expression increases viscoelasticity in mature tendons [PowerPoint]. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2020.
- Leiphart RJ, Mavridis AA, Weiss SN, Adams SM, Birk DE, Soslowsky LJ. Collagen V deficiency during healing mitigates the quasi-static mechanical deficits of injured tendons [Poster]. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2020.
- Taylor BL, Leiphart RJ, Weiss SN, Birk DE, Soslowsky LJ. Knockdown of collagen V during the inflammatory healing phase significantly affects quasi-static tendon mechanics [Poster]. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2020.
- Leiphart RJ, Shetye SS, Weiss SN, Dyment NA, Soslowsky LJ. Decorin, alone and in tandem with biglycan, alters viscoelasticity in aged tendons [PowerPoint]. SB3C, Seven Springs, PA, USA, 2019.
- Leiphart RJ, Shetye SS, Pham H, Weiss SN, Young MF, Soslowsky LJ. Collagen VI plays an important role in FDL tendon mechanics that is distinct from the role of biglycan [Poster]. Orthopedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, USA, 2019.
- Leiphart RJ, Fortman E, Henry CH. Design of novel bioprinted tissue engineered muscle repair (TEMR) constructs for functional restoration of irrecoverable muscle injuries and similar conditions [Presentation]. University of Virginia Annual Undergraduate Research and Design Symposium, Charlottesville, VA, April 2016.
- Leiphart RJ, Heuslein JL, Song J, Price RJ. Inhibition of microRNA-199a induces arteriogenesis and enhances downstream perfusion in mice following arterial ligation [Poster]. BMES Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL, November 2015.
- PhD Student Competition First Place Winner, 2019 Summer of Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference
- Tendon Section Poster Award Winner, 2019 Orthopedic Research Society Annual Meeting
- Graduate Research Fellowship Award Winner, 2017 National Science Foundation
- Best Design Project, 2016 University of Virginia Annual Undergraduate Research and Design Symposium
Ryan joined the McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory in the fall of 2016 and is currently working towards the completion of his graduate studies in the Department of Bioengineering. When he's not researching, Ryan enjoys being outdoors, playing sports, exploring the eastern seaboard, beating the lab in Fantasy Football, and keeping a positive attitude.