- Faculty & Staff
- For patients
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
Ted Satterthwaite, MD
My goal is to use multimodal neuroimaging to better understand psychiatric symptoms in the context of brain development and reward system function. Areas of focus include studying a) how functional brain networks evolve in health and disease and b) how reward system function relates to symptoms such as anhedonia that are common across multiple traditional psychiatric diagnoses. Throughout, I place a particular emphasis on the application of novel analysis methodology for integrating high-dimensional imaging, clinical, and genomic data.
- 1996-2000 – B.A. Williams College (Psychology)
- 2001-2006 – M.D. Washington University in St Louis
- 2004-2006 – M.A. Washington University in St Louis (Biology)
- 2006-2010 – Resident in Psychiatry Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- 2010-2012 – Post-doctoral Fellow, Neuropsychiatry Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- 2012-2013 – Instructor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia
- 2013-present – Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia
Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- 2011-present – Attending Physician, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- 1999 – Phi Beta Kappa, Williams College
- 2006 – Hudgens Award for Psychiatry, Washington Univ. School of Medicine
- 2007 – NIMH Clinical Research Scholars Program
- 2008 – NMSIS New Investigator Award
- 2008 – APIRE / Janssen Research Scholar
- 2008 – "Penn Pearls" Award for Clinical Teaching, UPenn School of Medicine
- 2009 – Eli Lilly Resident Research Award, American Psychiatric Association
- 2010 – Laughlin Award, UPenn Dept. of Psychiatry
- 2010 – APIRE / Lilly Research Fellowship
- 2011 – NARSAD Young Investigator Award
- 2012 – NIMH K23 Career Development Award
- 2013 – ACNP Young Investigator Travel Award
- Satterthwaite TD, Wolf DH, Erus G, Ruparel K, Elliott MA, Gennatas ED, Hopson R, Jackson C, Prabhakaran K, Bilker WB, Calkins ME, Loughead J, Smith A, Roalf DR, Hakonarson H, Verma R, Davatzikos C, Gur RC, Gur RE. Functional Maturation of the Executive System During Adolescence. Journal of Neuroscience: In Press, 2013.
- Satterthwaite TD, Elliott MA, Ruparel K, Loughead J, Prabhakaran K, Calkins ME, Hopson R, Jackson C, Keefe J, Riley M, Sleiman P, Verma R, Davatzikos C, Hakonarson H, Gur RC, Gur RE. Neuroimaging of the Philadelphia Neurodevelopmental Cohort. NeuroImage: In Press, 2013.
- Satterthwaite TD, Wolf DH, Ruparel K, Erus G, Elliott MA, Eickhoff SB, Gennatas ED, Prabhakaran K, Smith A, Hakonarson H, Verma R, Davatzikos C, Gur RC, Gur RE. Heterogeneous Impact of Motion on Fundamental Patterns of Age-Related Changes in Functional Connectivity During Adolescence. NeuroImage: In Press, 2013.
- Zhang T, Satterthwaite TD, Davatzikos C. ODVBA-C: Optimally Descrimitive Voxel Based Analysis of Continuous Variables. IEEE International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in Neuroimaging (PRNI). 2013.
- Honnorat N, Eavani H, Satterthwaite TD, Davatzikos C. A Graph-based Brain Parcellation Method Extracting Sparse Networks. IEEE International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in Neuroimaging (PRNI). 2013.
- Eavani H, Satterthwaite TD, Gur RE, Gur RC, Davatzikos C. Unsupervised learning of functional network dynamics in resting state fMRI. Information Processing in Medical Imaging. 2013
- Eavani H, Satterthwaite TD, Gur RE, Gur RC, Davatzikos C. Identifying patterns in temporal variation of functional connectivity using resting state fMRI. IEEE International Symposium of Biomedical Imaging. 2013.
- Gur RE, Kaltman D, Melham ER, Ruparel K, Prabhakaran K, Riley M, Yodh E, Hakonarson H, Satterthwaite TD, Gur RC. Incidental findings in youths volunteering for brain MRI research. American Journal of Neuroradiology: In Press, 2013
- Wolf DH, Pinkham AE, Satterthwaite TD, Ruparel K, Elliott MA, Valdez J, Smith MA, Detre JA, Gur RC, and Gur RE. Oral alprazolam acutely increases nucleus accumbens perfusion. Molecular Psychiatry: In Press, 2013.
- Satterthwaite TD, Elliott MA, Gerraty RT, Ruparel K, Loughead J, Calkins ME, Eickhoff SB, Hakonarson H, Gur RC, Gur RE, and Wolf DH. An improved framework for confound regression and filtering for control of motion artifact in the preprocessing of resting-state functional connectivity data. NeuroImage 64(1): 240-256, 2013.
- Satterthwaite TD, Ruparel K, Loughead J, Elliott MA, Gerraty RT, Calkins ME, Hakonarson H, Gur RC, Gur RE, Wolf DH. Being right is its own reward: load-dependent and performance related ventral striatum responses to correct responses during a working memory task in youth. NeuroImage 61(3):723-729, 2012.
- Zhang T, Satterthwaite TD, Elliott MA, Gur RC, Gur RE, Davatzikos C. Multivariate fMRI Analysis using Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Analysis. IEEE: International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in Neuroimaging (PRNI). 2012.
- Eavani H, Filipovych R, Satterthwaite TD, Gur RE, Gur RC, Davatzikos C. Sparse dictionary learning of resting state fMRI networks. IEEE: International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in Neuroimaging (PRNI). 2012.
- Satterthwaite TD, Wolf DH, Loughead J, Ruparel K, Elliott MA, Hakonarson H, Gur RC, Gur RE. Impact on in-scanner head motion on multiple measures of functional connectivity: relevance for studies of neurodevelopment in youth. NeuroImage60(1):623-632, 2012.
- Seidel EM, Satterthwaite TD, Eickhoff SB, Schneider F, Gur RC, Wolf DH, Habel U, Derntl B. Neural correlates of depressive realism: An fMRI study on causal attribution in depression. Affective Disorders 138(3):268-76, 2012.
- Wolf DH, Gerraty RT, Satterthwaite TD, Loughead J, Campellone T, Elliott MA, Turetsky BT, Gur RC and Gur RE. Striatal intrinsic reinforcement signals during recognition memory: relationship to response bias and dysregulation in schizophrenia.Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience 5(81), 2011.
- Satterthwaite TD, Wolf DH, Gur RC, Pinkham AE, Ruparel K, Valdez JN, Gur RE, Loughead JW. Opposing amygdala and ventral striatum connectivity during emotion identification. Brain and Cognition 76(3):353-63, 2011.
- Wolf DH, Satterthwaite TD, Loughead J, Pinkham AE, Overton E, Elliott MA, Dent G, Smith M, Gur RC, Gur RE. Amygdala abnormalities in first-degree relatives of individuals with schizophrenia unmasked by benzodiazepine challenge.Psychopharmacology 218(3):503-12, 2011.
- Satterthwaite TD, Wolf DH, Loughead JW, Ruparel K, Valdez JN, Siegel SJ, Kohler CG, Gur RE, Gur RC. Association of enhanced limbic response to threat with decreased cortical facial recognition memory response in schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 167:418-26, 2010.
- Cristancho MA, Satterthwaite TD, O'Reardon JP. Myocardial stunning syndrome and takotsubo cardiomyopathy after ECT: different names for the same phenomenon?Journal of ECT 26:146-7, 2010.
- Satterthwaite TD, Wolf DH, Gur RC, Ruparel K, Valdez JN, Gur RE, Loughead JW. Frontolimbic responses to emotional face memory: the neural correlates of a first impression. Human Brain Mapping 30(11): 3748-58, 2009.
- Satterthwaite TD, Cristancho MA, Alici-Evicmen Y, Weiss D, O'Reardon JP. Electroconvulsive therapy in a 72 year old female with a history of tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy: a case report and review of the literature. Brain Stimulation 2(4): 238-240, 2009.
- Satterthwaite TD, Wolf DH, Rosenheck RA, Gur RE, Caroff, SN. A meta-analysis of the risk of extrapyramidal symptoms with intramuscular antipsychotics for the treatment of agitation. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 69:1869-1879, 2008.
- Satterthwaite TD, Green L, Myerson J, Parker J, Ramaratnam M, Buckner RL. Dissociable but inter-related systems of cognitive control and reward during decision making: evidence from pupillometry and event-related fMRI. NeuroImage 37(3): 1017-31, 2007.
Back to Top